OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hull welding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsteadt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Hull welding Reply with quote

I have decided to add some extra plating to my hull and have some questions. My preferred welding method is TIG but I have absolutely no luck on the bottom of my boat. I assume that this is due to the corrosion. I use a flap disk and a SS wire brush but still just make a mess. I can do a decent job with TIG'ing in my shop in any direction and even on relatively dirty material but have never been able to do much more than make a mess on my hull. I even have more of a problem with MIG under the hull. It may just be that I suck at over head welds?

My hull has been used in salt water and I don't know if this allows corrosion to penetrate the aluminum more and could be causing my problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone with a high frequency TIG have issues with their flouresent lights while welding?

Thanks,
Matt
JR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hull welding Reply with quote

wilsteadt wrote:
I have decided to add some extra plating to my hull and have some questions. My preferred welding method is TIG but I have absolutely no luck on the bottom of my boat. I assume that this is due to the corrosion. I use a flap disk and a SS wire brush but still just make a mess. I can do a decent job with TIG'ing in my shop in any direction and even on relatively dirty material but have never been able to do much more than make a mess on my hull. I even have more of a problem with MIG under the hull. It may just be that I suck at over head welds?

My hull has been used in salt water and I don't know if this allows corrosion to penetrate the aluminum more and could be causing my problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone with a high frequency TIG have issues with their flouresent lights while welding?

Thanks,
Matt

With The Lights you will need to have the right filler wire Very Happy Very Happy ... Sorry i just had to... Rolling Eyes
By the sounds of it you have had a real good clean before you weld... Are you getting enough heat in before you start your bead... Try to run a weld on the new stuff first this will tell you if it is the old part of the hull has still got salt on/in it... Cheers JR

boosted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough heat for Tig is esssential. You should be using close to 300 amps to weld that. You should also preheat that a little with a torch. Don't get it to hot though as once you get close to 600 deg if it is heat treated aluminum then it will start to loose strength. In that application a good mig weld is actually better.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: