OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW wear rings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allblowdup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great comparison. I believe that there is a place for both. The UHMW way out performs the stainless but with straight gravel and shale rock the stainless wears better. With silty water the UHMW one lasts a long time.
shallowman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: comparision Reply with quote

I have done the one test where I had a factory wear ring in the one day a UHMW the next same boat same load same river and the uhmw out performed the factory one by quite abit fast hole shot better mid range and 2 mph faster on top end we all know that top end is faster in most boats and that is one reason they will not allow it in the boat racing circuit Allblowdup did a comparison with two outboard jets one with uhmw and one without the plastic out performed the stock one
and it will outlast stainless without a doubt that is why we run plastic ski's on our sled can you imagine if you ran you sled down the pavement with stainless ski's
also with alot of embarrassment I pulled my muskrat boat for over a mile on the pavement before I realized it was not on the trailer whoops!!!
the uhmw survived stainless would not, so now add water much more durable in the long run

let'er buck Embarassed Embarassed
Pride N Joy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hey Folks:

Thanks for this...
I've been a member of this website for a few months now, and I thought I new alot about Jets....
Every time I open these forums I learn more and more...

Keep the ideas and comments coming....

Signed
I aint such a dummy no more....
Wink
mountainman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can believe it. One thing I am wondering is maybe the high skew is pulling rock and such off the bottom more then a stock impeller. Most everyone here knows the rivers I run, Smokey from 43 bridge and the Wapiti from the Smokey to the Narraway. There are a lot of skinny spots on the Wapiti and more gravel I think. I still like the wear ring and will continue with it until it is time for a re-do then we'll see what happens. But I am guessing that I will be staying with it.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup on the out board with a 200 merc I can pretty much hammer the throttle from 5 mph and it will not spin out. I have been running it for 4 years now and it remains the same. Lots of silt but not huge gravel.
bonecracker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't disagree that the performance is better and have posted that info on this forum stating that. The problem is longevity. The plastic allows you to run tighter tolerences therefore better performance but only until the plastic wears down to the stainless tolerences, which happens fast in gravel. The stainless has a larger tolerence but keeps that same tolerence longer.
I rebuild my impellers 3-5 times/year with unichrome and have worn out 1 stainless sleeve in 3 years. That includes boring the sleeve to even the wear out and take out big gouges. There is NO WAY I will get half the life out of the plastic.
The plastic has wayyy better performance when tight and with a high skew you could probably get on step with my Duramax in my 16' Lynx but where/how I run, the stainless works better.

Just what I have found, don't flame me too bad.

leadvilleone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished sleeving my wear ring with UHMW. This will be new for me this season so I'll let everyone know how it works out. I pump quite a bit of sand here in the midwest. In the past I would install a new impeller and wear ring each season. Anxious to see how it holds up.

wear_ring2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.57 KB
 Viewed:  18717 Time(s)

wear_ring2.jpg

wear_ring1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.2 KB
 Viewed:  18717 Time(s)

wear_ring1.jpg

mountainman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tighter tolerances you may find that your wear ring is going to want to turn!! The way that mine is done is the housing actually is machined and a couple of the housing bolts actually go through it. I think it would stand up to sand pretty good but of course let us know how it works.
leadvilleone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a 0.010 interference fit on the UHMW before turning the ID to size & then machined 0.070 off the o-ringed side of the wear ring casting that mates with the suction housing. The UHMW has a larger diameter lip in its place to form a face that mates against the suction housing. Tightening the fasteners pinches this lip to prevent rotation. We will see how it works.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the uhmw ring done that way it may spin as press fit alone does not seem to hold them. Uhmw is compressable and may swell out and screw up you your clearances. .010 clearance is ok but you get better performance if it is tighter. There is a patent on this just so you know.
leadvilleone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABD - Aware of the patent, irrelevant when not performing work for others. I appreciate the information though. Just maintaining my own equipment and letting other comment on the method.

The aspect of rotation was not overlooked. I have seen others UHMW with a large lip drilled with the wear ring bolt pattern to maintain orientation. Just trying another method.
allblowdup

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on let us know how it works for you. What motor is it going on and what size of boat?
leadvilleone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle 17X with a 240SJ
Possibly get it wet within the next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: