OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possible upgrade for sbfx for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merv I hope you don't feel your opinion isn't appreciated because it is. Everyone needs to voice their opinion's for any progress to be made on what will work best.

Unfortunately we DO need a common set of rules. I think one of the things that hurts our sport most from a promotional standpoint IS the lack of commonality. Its just hard to promote the sport when its sectioned off into little cliques. Nothing would do this sport more good than to have a firm agreed upon set of rules for the entire planet. A tall order but its what we should all be working towards. The UIM rule set while not perfect for anyone would certainly make racing in different parts of the world easier if EVERYone abided by it. (im not saying as the rules sit now thats going to happen or even should happen)

I can't see a better reason for that than whats right in front of us. You a seasoned racer are not coming to the biggest race of the year because of it.

Cheers

KJet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three cheers for Zero.

HIP HIP HURRAY. HIP HIP HURRAY. HIP HIP HURRAY. Smile
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personally voiced opinions in this discussion were not intended as a shot across anyone's bow. Yellowhammer's inclusion of words and phrases used in my post leads me to believe that he may have perceived it as such, however. Umbrage may have been taken. Now my perception is of a return volley. Aaaaaa, the cruel trap of perception. I apologize if my comments have been taken personally. I had no intent of any comments being directed at anyONE.

And now as Wilson put it, more of my philosophy..... but possibly devolving into mere rhetoric.........because most of what I have to say will be point by point responses to Merv's comments. Once again my intent is NOT to be personal, or diminish the philosophy of another, I only use his comments as a springboard to focus my thoughts and beliefs. If it is perceived in any other way and deemed hurtful, pointed or mean-spirited I apologize in advance and am willing to pull / delete the post(s) or any part of it / them. Maybe the issue HAS been beaten to death but I feel a need to respond. Not gracious, in fact possibly prideful, self aggrandizing and self-serving but a response nonetheless.

Quote:
I keep hearing that the fxsb class is an "entry level class" that is supposed to attract the "pit wanderer". First of all, I do not believe any class is a "entry level class" including the fxsb.

I DO believe in places/classes for entry level. Most folks need a place to start that does not involve 95+ mph boats. The AWJA has codified FXSB as such----from all the past and present AWJA rulebooks I could find, this:

5. FX Limited Jet Class (FX 1-49 series numbers) Crate Motor Class
This class is intended to be an entry level boat with motors having the same horse power.

Quote:
that is supposed to attract the "pit wanderer"

--if they are in the pits they are already attracted. Now they want more info and maybe some inclusion.

Quote:
"entry level cheap class"

---no but mayhaps an entry level "more affordable" class. Wilson put it very well I think.......

Quote:
I by no means am a "pit wanderer"

---I was, others may be. I grew up in the desert and had no cultural / familial inroad into boats and motors, especially the racing kind. The dreams and hopes and plans started in pit areas of motorsport venues. I started "working" on things mechanical before I could read. Learning from the cauldron of failure, without a guide.

Quote:
and I also don't expect a "pit wanderer" to be competitive right out of the box

--but can we at least allow them to try and strive and learn at speeds an with equipment that may give them a glimmer of success?

Quote:
If a guy is riding a financial tightrope that is so thin that he can not afford to maintain or repair a damaged engine...then he should not race.

--I certainly do not feel qualified to make the decisions about other people's exclusion based on my perception of financial solvency. Where exactly is that inclusion line? Do we create a committee that assesses a persons possible viability as to financial worthiness and then allow them in? I think in a relatively free society we each get to determine how we would spend/squander our resources or lack of same. I do not think those of us already "in" should slam the door on anyone's hopes and dreams just because they might not have the resources that we deem necessary to participate. AGREED, we must not try and blow smoke up their b#tt about it being doable by everybody, but many could do it if they chose to focus their resources and time to doing so. My stock answer when asked, "how much?" is "figure on $30K to get into FX, twice that for "A" or "B" and you need to have $1000 to spend per race."

Quote:
I feel as though "no one" is happy to see me win a race anymore

--this comment seems pointed at we who race. Your family and those fans who watch from the bank certainly do. And such a blanket statement concerning those who compete is certainly an unfair generalization and possibly a tad bit paranoid ???....(however I will concede that just because one is paranoid does not mean someone is NOT out to get you.....)

Quote:
What bothers me is that when I entered the jet boat circuit there was an established rule set for the fxsb class. I did not write them....they were already "in stone"

--Stone??? a man made ruleset in STONE??? I do not think so....even the US Constitution has been amended and is reinterpreted on an almost daily basis. Rules do and will change-especially as needs, wants and desires among a democratic group also change. Change is a constant-another of life's metaphors / truisms.

Quote:
I am hearing rhetoric

-the word "rhetoric" carries a lot of negative baggage. An open discussion, a discourse if you will, on a multinational forum with ideas and opinions being presented and discussed, hopefully with thoughtful consideration, for how to make the class with the largest participation level a viable, world sanctioning body recognized class is hopefully more than mere rhetoric.

Quote:
rhetoric that the rules need to be changed. Why? The only reason I can think of is because people think I have an advantage.

-- An informal discussion among a group of participants from 3 of the 4 recognized participating countries, and at least one with participatory UIM class rulemaking experience, trying to figure a way to allow FXSB to be a multinationally recognized and accepted class hardly constitutes an attack on ONE player. This "rhetoric" is about trying to POSSIBLY make this a viable recognized class for the greatest number of people, current and potential participants, across 2 hemispheres, one hemisphere that includes an extended continent of participants.

Quote:
I thought surviving a tear down was supposed to clear the air. I guess not.

-- Yes, the protest and subsequent teardowns actually cleared the air about the legality of TWO motors that were used. What it also does though is raise questions about "built" FX motors. If GM factory built (and even possibly sealed) were "it" the issue would not even be an issue. Bad feelings and actrimony that started months ago and continues to bubble up may have been avoided.

Quote:
There is something to be said for consistency, smart driving, good parts, and the will to win. To win it takes skill, patience, lots of prep time, luck and resources
--And these very issues are being clouded by the perception that it is “motor”. Team Yellowhammer is THE class act in SBFX and I would say one of the top 2 operations in the whole US Series. Make no mistake, Merv wins because of the COMPLETENESS of the package.

Quote:
Now they say the rules need to be changed.

--Mine is the only US voice to actually suggest such a thing in a very public way so I perceive THEY is ME. I have been in discussions with folks in many places for months about FX's international viability. I have spent considerable time passionately defending the US way of "doing" FX. It is working currently and has provided some great moments and excitement, albeit not without controversy. I do not know if it will / can continue to "work". The experience of others who have been down similar roads as to what I will call "rule creep" weighs in my thoughts. We have had / seen "rule creep" in the US and have clarified several points, always in favor of the "built" vs. the "crate". We have sided time and again with "built". I think, hope with inclusion as the guiding light, but somewhere along the line that is going to drift into higher dollars and exclusivity at the expense of less is OK and "crate". As that happens and it becomes the PERCEPTION that you have to have a $10,000 "built" motor to be a player, I believe the universe of FX will shrink and participation will dwindle. The class is maturing in the US. As a few come to dominate, with the perception (right or wrong, perception becomes the reality) that it is all about MOTOR, I fear that we will see the same dissolution that has plagued "B" and "A". Folks throw their hands up and "leave the room". They are "beaten" they believe, again rightly or wrongly, by only $$$$$ they can't or won't pony up and will give it up. That is my fear. Badly needed participants will give up.

Quote:
It bothers me to see folks who are not even in our class (fellow AWJA) racers talk about possibly changing "OUR" rules

--Once again I seem to be this nefarious unnamed fellow causing "bother". ( Or maybe I'm just paranoid..... ) As I read and re-read the bylaws and rules of the organization (AWJA) I can not find any mention of class rules only being debatable / changeable by actual participants in the class. Actually quite the opposite. And although mine seems to be the lone voice in the wilderness (and as stated, the opinions and statements ARE mine)..........I have had discussions with US FX racers, some who have voiced their "concerns" with the current state of the FX ruleset. Not all seem to agree that "it works for us".

Quote:
Perhaps people will feel better knowing that I only plan on racing one more race this season.

-- I for one am not feeling better. Each boat that is not there diminishes us. The venues live and die by numbers of boats. Team Yellowhammer has raised the bar for what we should be as Jet River Racers. Family working together, well maintained equipment, clean clothes and faces, trying to be the best that we can be at all times. Polite and respectful in all that they do. Quietly confident and secure in your abilities. Good self image, projected to the betterment of all who surround you. We as boat racing people are diminished by each absent participant and ESPECIALLY by those who exude "class".

Quote:
I will lobby for the current AWJA fxsb rules to apply for the 2008 Worlds in the US.

-The organizing group that has applied for the sanction is NOT the AWJA. I do not know what they may do for rules. Lobbying will certainly be in order and probably necessary. In addition, no one from the AWJA has a seat at the table at the UIM level. In fact the US is kind of the johnny-come-lately to UIM Jet River Racing and at the organizational / venue level is not held in the highest regard (again MY perception) in the world JRR community. An international FX ruleset for inclusion and recognition COULD easily be adopted and implimented without any AWJA input whatsoever!

And now back to planning and wrenching and assembling. We get to go racin' again in a week and there is much to do Very Happy

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"

Last edited by SouthIdahoGary on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anyone taking this type of thing personally, we are all adults and all have our own opinion, I hope anything I said hasn't offended anyone, is most certainly wasn't my intention.
Yellowhammer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again.... I have read and respect all fellow racer's opinions on this matter. It really is important to have dialogue about these kinds of issues away from the competitive moments of racing, or else no one will have fun.

I must admit, right now racing is not fun for me for a variety of reasons. The politics of racing and the negative vibes I receive from others is really starting to take its toll. I got into racing to get away from the daily grind of life's trials and tribulations. Many are not aware of my personal situation at home with family members who do not want me to race anymore. Earlier on in this thread I mentioned I had loved ones who died racing. In fact two first cousins (who were more like brothers) were killed in separate accidents right in front of the pits and their families one month apart (1997). I witnessed both accidents. I have some immediate family members including (two aunts) who no longer speak to me because I have chosen to continue racing. They see me racing as a slap in the face of my deceased brothers. This really is hard on me since Hoopa is a very small town. My wife and I (both knowing these hard feelings exist) have made the decision to race because our town has been a racing community since the 1950's and without our involvement, racing was starting to die. I also know my brothers would want me to race! That is what we were raised to do. In addition to the family issues, I have been involved with tribal politics all of my professional career and I thought racing would be my escape. Anyone who has been an elected leader knows the rigors of public life. My family's life is very public including the racing stuff. Some like it but others don't because they don't have the resources to do it. So this issue really does hit home with me. Now when you add all of this community pressure, family feelings, and the current state of affairs with the racing politics.....it starts to weigh a guy down.

I hope I don't sound like I am whining because anyone who knows me knows that is not me. I usually don't complain or even second guess something unless I feel like I can help. Gary, I think your comments posted here IN CONJUNCTION WITH, the phone calls and emails from OTHERS on this subject; is what has added to some of my frustration level. Let me follow by saying, Gary in the racing circuit you are one of the individuals I respect the most. I trust your judgement and opinions on just about everything. It feels kind of weird venting some of this stuff out on here, but it also seems kind of like therapy Smile.

To continue with this bleeding heart post....I have made many boat racing friends throughout this small chapter in my life. Many I will carry for a lifetime. I know I won't be racing forever....(shit the way things are going I might decide to call it quits sooner rather than later) but I do know I will always support boat racing! For me boat racing is not just a hobby...it is not just a sport....it is not just a past time.....it really is something to live and die for! My brothers died doing something they truly loved and I will race in their honor if nothing else. When I break it down....I really don't care what motor is bolted to my pump. Call it "built", call it "crate", call it "slow", call it "fast".....I will always follow the rules whatever they call for. As long as I can get my fix running a river at "Godspeed" I know I will be happy.....!

Sorry for getting a little mushy on you guys....it is friday though!

Itsworthit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence the name "Itsworthit"
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Yellowhammer Reply with quote

Hey Big Guy;

From a fans point of view, I know I will miss you at the 2007's

I was looking forward to seeing and meeting one of the best damn racers and boat in the world!

Good luck man! in what ever you do and what ever decisions you make.
Cheers,
Emery

Will R

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just responding to something RPM said.I was just wondering when and why the "claimer" part of C class was dropped.I don't remember ever hearing about it!Was there a meeting where the cbf decided to drop it or was it just "forgot"about.
RPM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember anybodies posts asking for a 95+ mph entry class , and I think the ZZ4 makes a great univerisally (if thats a word) available no touch class engine. But I think it should be called ZZ4 , and I think other than for a few very light boats and crews and those boats with so much aero dynamic lift that their riding the nozzle when there is gusting head winds , with a out of the crate ZZ4 it's a 75 mph class at best . Perfect now lets get the 85 mph class figured out and I think something that is a combination of US + Mexico SBFX and the old Canuck C class is it , what I refer to as a sportmans ( low buck ) build your own 350 or 351 class . I can't believe that there is that many racers out there that can't build or get someone to build them a engine for $ 5500 CAD. which is my best price for a ZZ4 in P.G. . I expect my boat to run 85 avg. and the engine will cost less than $5000 CAD , will it last ????? . Lets get a world FX class figured out and please can we get that ZZ4 split pattern street cam out of it ??!!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Will R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think we should adopt the 2007 APBA rules in this class!instead of trying to reinvent the wheel! Then we have a common set of rules!
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I personally think we should adopt the 2007 APBA rules in this class!instead of trying to reinvent the wheel! Then we have a common set of rules!"

No way, no one is trying to re-invent the wheel. They are building "ZZ4" engines. This is defeating the whole purpose. It will only lead to guys building engines that are stronger and more expensive. The whole idea of FX was to create a level playing field for those who wanted to get into and remain competitive without getting into spending a bunch of cash. I don't buy into the arguement that "I can not afford to buy a new crate motor" for 4500 bucks when I have "all these 350 parts laying around". The engine is the cheapest thing you buy when you go racing in this class. Go ahead and build a practice engine or two with all those extra parts kicking around and sell one to pay for a ZZ4. If you can afford the boat, gear, trailer, gas, hotel rooms, beer and food to go racing, then buying a standard "class" engine is a drop in the bucket.
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, here....order in the forum please.. Laughing

Well as one of the guys sitting on the fence maybe I'll throw my .02 in here as well. AS most know I have not been racing yet, I have been watching the races in HayRiver since I was a kid, every year we made the 6 hour drive to sit on the bank(Dad and Friends had beer) and I watched.

If you want NEW blood in the sport the CRATE class is the only way to go.
A FXSB entry boat running 90mph+ is not my idea of an entry class and might be too fast for a new racer. I feel comfortable on a sled at those speeds but I am somewhat new to high speed water travel(in a boat).
Also, I don't have parts, heads, carbs, cams laying around...I have rotax parts laying around. I am not one to rebuild an engine or to build up a zz4 so what are my options...race a crate zz4 against the guys building them that run 15-18mph faster...no thanks.
In Canada the FX class is awesome the way it is. It is by far the closest racing of all classes. Guys are crossing the finish line 60 miles upriver and 10 seconds apart and that is tight racing.

I certainly agree we all need to standardize the class across the world, but this is crazy, some the US racers are not racing in our FX this year and we(I) won't be making the journey to the US next year unless the rules are the same.
CRATE is the way to go for an entry level class Twisted Evil

WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly Crate is:

1) Easy to check
2) More affordable to operate

I do like the U.S. option to submit your own engine's part list before the race and have the guys who know decide if the engine will be 355 HP or less. However, it will be up to the race organizers to decide if they have the technical guy who can verify this. If not, strictly crate will be the way to go.

And yes, If you have the means to have a boat and go racing, you can most likely purchase a new engine, specially if given enough time notice.

Mike R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from running stock cars that the more you try to restrict things the more cash people will spend to try and make power. As an example my hobby stock motor cost more than my super stock motor and had less than half the power. The GM sealed race motors IMO are the ticket. Similar cost to the zz4 stuff but not able to be touched.

Personally I would like a 300 CI 2 barrel class to run with the sport jets for those of us with smaller(sprint hull) boats

As Dave said motors, in crate form, in the lower classes are the cheapest part of racing
Will R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK let me put it to ya another way! I am a die hard ford fan and I would sure like to get into jet boat racing!hmmmmmm the the crate engine sbfx class I think is the one for me...but wait a minute here in order to be legal I gotta change the intake,cam,rockers and heads wtf doesn't sound like a crate class to me soooooooo to hell with it!They might as well call it the ZZ4fx class or a GMZZ4 only class not a crate class.

Last edited by Will R on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: