OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inducer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I do love the rooster tail. Not fast but looks good. I'm sure the novelty will wear off sooner or later.

Picture 014.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.69 KB
 Viewed:  20382 Time(s)

Picture 014.jpg

WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. This is what I know about the inducer:

In terms of speed, when used for racing, the inducer was tested about 9 years ago by Rob Chrunyk and others, including some guys here in Mexico, but it is no longer used as it seems to have made no difference in top speed.

What these people told me was that the inducer did help to put the boat on plane faster.

Yes, the inducer looks similar to the Hamilton impeller, but the American style pumps (Berkeley, American, Dominator et al) are High Pressure, Low Volume pumps, and the New Zealand pumps (Hamilton, Scott) are High Volume, Low Pressure pumps, and the physics of both styles are somewhat different.

The inducer is designed to push water into the pump inlet. Some racers have achieved similar results with the famous "spoon" (Which is more simple and cheaper)

American Turbine says that the inducer's main advantages are 1) You put the boat on plane faster and 2) It helps to push more water into the pump when navigating in whitewater. (Whitewater has a lot of air in it, and the pump moves water, not air)

That's my knowledge on the inducer.

WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not conclude my previous post.

My opinion on the inducer is: I would not use it, as it adds an element to the pump that could fail if used on shallow water. I would probably use it if I lived in Idaho, with all that big water.

finally conviced her

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your opinion is that it won't help the cavitation you get when you get a rock in the intake.
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, as the rock will restrict the water flow into both the inducer and main impeller. Might compensate for one or two little rocks stuck in the grate, but if the grate is blocked, the inducer won't make a difference...
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHEEEEET. I was really hoping that it would help. Because I can tell if I have one rock in there. It cavitates a little and the RPM jump a few hundred.

Suppose it would be easily damaged by anything that made it through the grate to wouldn't it.
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I Think that) The inducer is made of Aluminum. As the blades are skinny, if will be more fragile than the main impeller. Probably can be damaged by a rock passing by, but this will depend more on the RPMs you are doing....
RPM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check-out Don's Pump Service as I think he is the guy that developed the inducer . I got a good look at one a couple of years ago when I machined a guys shaft for one . Don't no where he got it but his was some sort of cast stainless . He wanted to reduce cavation in the rapids which it helped but his boat is a shallow V so it's getting a lot of air down the keel. Basically it is adding a axial flow first stage in front of your single stage pump to keep it primed. I agree with Wilson in that it may help a little with what your problem is but if you don't already have a easy clean grate (stomp) I would suggest you spend your coin on one first as the single stage either because of the smaller intake opening or the high pressure bowl design they don't like stuff in the grill.
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have a stomp grate. I have a hard time imagining not having one as much as I use it. Cast Stainless???? Really. If it was straight up stainless it probably would stand up. But anything less I would be afraid that it might lose a blade then holy crap would that be a vibration.
RPM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by straight up stainless? Most stainless impellers are cast other than Scott (fabricated) and the really expensive one's milled from solid. What I wondered about the inducer design was why it only has three blades, not a engineer but I thought four blades on the inducer would give more even flow into the main impeller , like the blades on a 212 turbo impeller match up. What impeller cut do you run? You probably already know but a full A or larger will cavitate less than the smaller ones. We have found that a Aggressor impeller will have less cavitation than the other brands we've tried . By the way healthy looking roost in your picture under the bridge.
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My knowledge of metals is limited but I didn't think you could cast stainless. I don't know why but that's what I thought. I run a aluminum A impeller. No machining done to it. I assumed that for the price of a SS impeller that they were machined or forged. That again may show my limited knowledge of metals. But that's what I figured. My thoughts are that if it is cast, if something sneaks through the grate it might lose a blade.

I have only got one positive feed back on the inducer, and that was from a lake boater (better hole shot). So I think I'll save my cash for something else.
Hell AT won't even return my e-mail saying it will do what I expect. And there are alot of tight lipped guys on here. I have a hard time believing nobody here has tried one.

When I bought the boat it had a 7 deg wedge on the place diverter. Made for a pretty cool rooster tail but shitty hole shot. I never did get a full rooster tail pic before I changed it. My guess is it would throw about 10 more feet (higher) than the pic I posted. From the boat it looked like you were hitting the hwy 43 bridge on the smoky.
Mike R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally conviced her wrote:
Ya I have a stomp grate. I have a hard time imagining not having one as much as I use it. Cast Stainless???? Really. If it was straight up stainless it probably would stand up. But anything less I would be afraid that it might lose a blade then holy crap would that be a vibration.

Is your boat a 16' non step tech sprint hull? around the 2000 model year?
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precision Jet Drive makes a billet Inducer, there was one of theirs on ebay the other day, may still be there, search "jet boat" and it should come up
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Mike

Its an 99 16' (which = 15.5') Eagle Sprint, Delta Pad, Fresh ZZ4, AT pump, dual steering, place diverter, Full Auto meter gauge package. top mount starter.

Is winter over yet.

Thanks itsworthit, I'll try that.
Mike R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally conviced her wrote:
Ya Mike

Its an 99 16' (which = 15.5') Eagle Sprint, Delta Pad, Fresh ZZ4, AT pump, dual steering, place diverter, Full Auto meter gauge package. top mount starter.

Is winter over yet.

Thanks itsworthit, I'll try that.

What kind of #'s you getting out of it?

BTW I have its twin...Rob C said he built two with the stomp grate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: