OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering Setback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fire Water

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Steering Setback Reply with quote

Looking for advice for extending my steering aft about 11". I would like to stay with the single morse 290 cable helm (3/4" tapered shaft). I've found extensions up to 6". Trying to get as much weight aft as possible. Figure I might need an additional brace to keep the wheel from having to much slop. Any help appreciated.
AR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut that 6" extension in half and welded a piece of 2" x 1/4" wall tubing in between to make it 18" overall. I "V"ed the tubing and the extension half's before welding so I could turn it all straight again before re-powder coating.
Bolted in a piece of alu. angle behind the dash for support and it has a couple summers on it and is still tight.

AR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how the "Big Dogs" do it ?

R &R 3 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.52 KB
 Viewed:  15135 Time(s)

R &R 3 003.jpg

WILSON

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my boat has an extension in the dash, which I recommend as a very long steering wheel extension will be more fragile. Remember that this what you hold on to...

Tablero2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.11 KB
 Viewed:  15113 Time(s)

Tablero2.jpg

Tablero1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.99 KB
 Viewed:  15113 Time(s)

Tablero1.jpg

AR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have said that I used a piece of 4"x 1/2" flat 6061 t6 and made a brace from the angle to the four bolts that hold the rack on.
It's rock solid ! Cool

Fire Water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Hey AR do you have any movement from the bushings in the steering box? I've got a piece of aluminum channel that's 3/8" thick. I'm pretty sure that it would work about as well as your setup,

I think I've got a pic of your boat. Does your boat have a red bow, silver stern, black cowling and over transom headers? If it does our hulls are almost identical
AR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is a little play from the bushings, but its really not a factor. I pull on mine every time I get out of the seat and it's always been the same.

What really braced mine is the brace piece that supports the far other end where the rack bolts on. I use all four rack bolts and made four spacers between the rack and the 1/2" flat to make every thing really solid.

I did support the back of the dash where the steering goes through with a piece of 1/4" alu. about 10"x6" with a 90 degree edge bolted to the bottom lip of the dash. In the picture, that panel in the center of the dash hides my cables and wires that go down the center of the boat. Mechanical gauges.

Yep, those colors pretty much describes my boat ! Wink Cool

You'll have to post a picture of yours . . . . .

Fire Water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR, do you know what kind of helm you've got. Mine is a morse rotary model 290.

My hull is a 95 what year is yours.

Just got my pump back from a fellow named Tom Morrow down in Mississippi. Complete rebuild, new stainless 'B' impeller, blueprinted and speed coated.

Motor should be here in about another month. 408 sbc, full roller, all forged. Depending on cam, dyno pulls will be between 470 and 510. Leaning a little towards the 470 hp cam for wider power band and better throttle response.

Don't think I'll ever get to race my boat , but it sure is a lot of fun back in the swamp.
AR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helm is a Teleflex "The Rack" steering system. It says 4 turns lock to lock, but on a jet it comes out about 2 turns. Still to much some times.
www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/TEL/TELSS14114.html

My boat is an 05 with a home made zz4, legal FXSB class. I'm like you, probably won't ever get to race it, but it's a lot of fun in the skinny twisted water. I'm about ready to take the rollbar out, to low overhang in some places.

I'm also ready for more HP. Laughing With a Place Diverter and a "B" impeller I'm at 72/74 mph in still water. Have hit 78.4 with a lot of current, down stream. I have another motor, but the durability and gas mileage of the 355 is hard to beat. Rolling Eyes

Check your pm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: