OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sport jet impeller blade breakage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grizzly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: sport jet impeller blade breakage Reply with quote

Hi, anyone ever had a blade brake off of there impeller (3 blade). Don't see any signs of an impact. Was in a lake when it broke, hell of a vibration. had stainless wear ring, didn't f**k it up but took a groove out on the backside of it or the outside edge of the main housing. It appears by looking at the impeller that it was eroding away??? The anodes are on the exterior of the pump???

Anyone had this happen or seen this erosion??
Skinnydipper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the erosion is subject to just certain areas on the impeller, it's probably caused by "cavitation burn", which, from what I've seen, can lead to breakage.
bonecracker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. Do a search for my name and I posted pictures. (I don't know how to post a link to that topic)
Dano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Went over a gravel bar and had it pinned to get through so I wouldn't get stuck. Broke one blade off and another was cracked and ready to break off.
Grizzly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that makes a lot of sense bone. I did more research on "cavitation erosion" and the photos I found of this match what I see on my impeller. I had not ever experienced this with my single as cavitation was a lot easier to notice than on the twin engine boat. my impellers can be hugely worn and still no slip, just a little more rpm. Grates can also be partially plugged and will not notice.

They say that the new screw impeller is supposed to lessen cavitation, anyone want to comment on that?

thanks, Herb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: