OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pump Mod's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: pump Mod's? Reply with quote

K my parts are on the way and my pump is completely apart and out of the boat. Anyone suggest anything I can do in the next few days to improve performance a bit?
I've taken a die grinder to the trailing edges of my Berk bowl and tapered that blunt area. Worked it down to about 1/16 " (only touching front side of vanes)
Ive also rounded the exit on the outside diamter of the bowl, taken away that sharp edge
When I reinstall it i will line it up perfectly (it wasn't before)and am going to bondo over the small gap between the suction and intake.
I've started making a new intake grate that has airfoil shaped bars (xCool the outside 4 symetrical and the inner 4 asymetrical pulling the water away from the centerline.
Any other suggestions?
Is it worth sharpening my SS imp a bit before install?
Thanks guys I wanna see some decent speeds outta this thing finally

Cheers

YKX

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a drop snout without a reverse bucket, then play with the wedges for the perfect feel.

YKX
WILSON

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be getting much advise on this one, as no racer will want to disclose trade secrets.

But I'm a nice guy. Cool

Yes, it is a good idea to shape the intake grate bars as fins or "airplane wings".

Yes, you will actually see and feel a difference if you sharpen the blades of that impeller. You can also sharpen the blades on the bowl.

When installing the impeller, make sure you have a low clearance between the front of the impeller and the wear ring. Distance should be between 0.025" and 0.030". You will have to try a lot of shim combinations until you get what you want.

Use a shouldered wear ring.

Use bondo to eliminate and smoothe (Is this a correct word???) any gaps between the wear ring and the suction piece, along the water direction.

Make sure you have a smooth path on the direction of water between the suction piece and the boat intake and bottom.

Some people like to block the hand hole cover. I donīt like this approach, but it seems to work.

Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wilson, I figured a few people would give me some pointers on what to try. I think I have a good general idea of what to aim for but you did raise a point I had not considered(gap between wear ring and housing near insulator)
I had also planned on "pinning" the wear ring with a single 1/4" bolt to secure it in place.
I have a shouldered AT wear ring on the way and SS "a" impeller. Sounds like that impeller can be made alot better than stock with some time spent with a die grinder
Anyone running inducers on pumps in whitewater racing? I have heard already bowl stuffers are used
Cheers

(nozzle mods etc are next project XY Wink )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: