OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimax fuel issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REPO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems from what I have heard from others is that spring is when many of them failed, many on their first outing of the season.
RUNNIN WIDE OPEN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine started to fail last fall,in September.
bruno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: same here 2x 2 years Reply with quote

2008 200 HP Optimax Sport Jet. The original lift pump started failing after 40 or 50 hours in 2010. It was marginal and could run off the main tank at idle and maybe a little above. It could run at speed off an aux tank sitting on top of the main tank. The fuel rails would need to be bled manually once it was pushed to starvation. The new one failed a couple of days ago while pulling a water skier, it was like someone slowly pulled back the throttle, then it idled for a few minutes, and then it quit. Pulled the fuel line out, no gas, added 5 gallons, cycled the ignition, "on", "off" a few times, still no gas, no suction from lift pump. Maybe got 10 or 20 hours on the new pump, with 6 or so of those since the winter storage. It is still under warranty but any thoughts on a more reliable solution would be appreciated.

Here is a link to a 2006 service bulletin that covers the process for checking the lift pump: http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/distributors/mercurymarine/outboard/sportjetfuelpump.PDF

Thank you for the information and NAPA part number, it is also good to know that I am not the only one having this issue.

Greetings,

Bruno
Shrec

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same issues and was happy to come across this thread. However, after changing the pump I still had the same sputtering problem at about 4800 rpm on my 200 opti. Turns out it was an exhaust leak in the motor compartment and my motor wasn't getting any fresh air but was choking itself...
Just a thought for something else to look for.....

Now she's running great!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: