OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

icing on sport jet 175's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoke Show

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: icing on sport jet 175's Reply with quote

is there a fix out there for this? my boss has twin sport jet 175's and one the carbs seem to ice up on cold mornings when you need it most...

anything to help fix this? can get pretty scary.

REPO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by far not expert on them, but I have read there is some sort of kit you can buy to help fix the icing problem. I would google the sport jet 175 icing problem and see if you can find it, or even search this forum.
ALEX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: carb icing Reply with quote

carb icing can occur under the right conditions on any carbureted motor;the only real cure(the airplane guys do this) is to apply carb heat.

Unfortunately in a 175 we do not have any good heat sources.

Merc makes an anti icing kit for the v6 outboard but it only works with a thermostat in the motor ...which the 175 does not have

The best defence against icing is run Mercury Premium Plus or other synthetic oil and try and feed the motor dry air and good fuel;if the air your motor gets is sucked from the front of the boat under the floorboards and over the water in the bottom of the boat it will be moist

If you are having problems in cold wet weather remove the carb sheild and you will usually see a yellow oily residue in the carbs;carry some cans of carb cleaner to clean this out;also ANY moisture in your fuel (from jerrycans,condensation etc)will make it worse ...as does running regular fuel with ethanol in it;the ethanol separates out the water.I only run fresh premium (no ethanol type) in a boat today.
sharky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there. If you take the cover off the front of the carbs you will see a vent in the top front centre of each carb. Cut a new gasket so the vent is covered ( it will still get air from a vent on the top of the carb,but it will not get ram air....this solved my icing. Also, use compressed air,or even blow itn to the vent with a drinking straw....when you do so fuel will come out the brass vents on the outer edges of each barrel. Then you're good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: