OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pumps, the good,bad, & the ugly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REPO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Pumps, the good,bad, & the ugly Reply with quote

I've been reading and trying to understand as much as I can on the different set-ups available. I was wondering if the experts could advise on what each pump's good and bad qualities are for each? Stomp grates available, parts availability, gravel/shallow water acceptance, etc

A few that come to mind would be;

Berkley
American Turbine
Scott
Legend
Hamilton
Sport Jet
On-Track

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think first of all a person should keep in mind what type of boating he will be doing 90% of time. There are many types of jet unit pumps on the market even some not mentioned on your list. They are all used in different applications like some perform better in different water conditions deep, shallow, white water or load carrying capabilities and top end speed. Same go's with hull designs also the bottom line is what are you wanting to do or go on a river. Parts on the ones you mentioned are available sometimes there can be abit of a wait depending what part it is. Same as for pumps some cost less and others cost more as well as their parts. So bottom line I would say in my opinion is how much your willing to spend on a hull and pump to fit your boating needs.
boosted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hre is my .02 the berkely, american turbine, Legend are all pretty much the same thing. They work well and are fairly cheap plus parts are plentiful. For speed they are teh pump to use, The sportjet works well in light boat applications at teh power levels that the sportjet has. Doesn't really handle much more and top speed is just ok. The Hamilton and scott are somewhat simular but the Hamilton is more common. They push alot of water and work great for heavier boats and in applications that guys want push vs speed. They are not the best for speed. They tend to be able to clear rocks and debris through them better than the Berkely type of pump. But contrary to popular belief they get damaged by rocks just the same all be it they still seem to be able to push pretty good when damaged. They are more expensive but also more robust for the heavier usage.

Like has been said before it really depends on your application. I like speed so I go with the beerkely style but i have friends that need more push(bigger boat,Nose pusher boat). So they like a Hamilton or scott.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
coho dr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the new American Turbine SD203AF (axial flow) . I swapped out my 312 and Installed the 203kit (barrel,wear ring sdr bucket). So just to let you know American turbine has 2 axial flow pumps right now , and Ron is working on a 3rd . SD231 which is bigger than the Hamilton 212.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pump type is more important that pump brand, Basicky two types of comonly used jet boat pumps, Axial and Mixed flow and they both have pros and cons, like it was mentioned previously it all depends on the type of boating you do

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
sneddonrider

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Coho how do you like the 203? Does it slow your boat down compared to the 312? Does it haul a heavy load / get on step better? Just curious if it is going to be a real good alternative to a hamilton that has a higher top speed in a 20' boat with a 350/383. Thanks
Osburn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth the extra money to put a hamilton 212 pump in a boat less than 20ft or are they more suited for larger boats.
Medicine Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: 212 Hamilton Reply with quote

I have a 212 in my new 18.5 foot Bratt Jet boat and I love it, fuel mileage is good, the boat pretty much goes the same speed empty or loaded (55 mph) tons of thrust. I'm glad I spent the extra money. I have had 3 AT's, and 1 240 SJ in other boats.
coho dr.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 203 I gained 2-4mph compared to the 312. The 203 is a far superior pump to the 312 in every aspect. My hole shot, top speed,reverse and running white water have all improved. I will say that I am very impressed with this pump,for $2300(kit price) It sure was worth the upgrade.My boat is a 21ft Custom Weld 3400-3700lb boat powered by a stock Kodiak 350. the boat gets up on step in about 3-4 boat lengths with 70 gallons of fuel, 5 guys with gear. This pump will still pull hard into the 5000 rpm range were the 212 is done at the 4500 rpm range. This pump hooked up to the LSA's would be a sick combo.You will see more of these combos soon. HCM and Custom Weld are starting to install the 203 in there next generation boats.
Rooster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the main differences in the swap? I would like some more info before pulling the trigger. I'm happy with the 312 in my 20' cobra but when loaded really heavy it still could use some more thrust. I've read in other posts that they lost some top end speed after the swap it's interesting that you gained. What area whould you say saw the greatest gains after the swap?
coho dr.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 203 has a stainless 1/4-3/8 thick wear ring,where as the 212 has only a sleeve. The impeller (in my opinion) is a cross between the Hamilton and a Kodiak . This pump will chew through the garbage like no ones business!!If you don't have a stainless impeller in your 312 , I would just upgrade to the 203 for 900 bucks more. I had over 300 hours on my 312,so I can tell you the upgrade was worth it for me, because my boat sees lots of gravel and silty Fraser River water. I won't have to re-shim my pump every 50 hours now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: