OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

240 SJ random hot starts, HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seal magnet

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: 240 SJ random hot starts, HELP Reply with quote

Hey there, had the boat out a few time this year chasing king crab. Its a 19' boat with a 2001 240 EFI SJ. The boat always starts right away, no hesitatin. First time out after a few hours of cruising and checking traps it wouldnt start right away, just turned over, nothing. Waited a few minutes then it flashed, thought maybe an air lock or something. Next trip out, samething but almost killed the battery, before we started back opn the kicker. Had spark and fuel pumps were working (could here them)??? after an hour or so it flashed up. Talked to the local Merc guys and they thought it was the high preasure fuel pump and told me to listen to see if its running when this happens and also to check the fuel preasure at the top of the high preasure tank (valve stem), both were working and full of fuel. Went out yesterday for a short trip and after anchoring and a snooze, bingo, same deal. fuel pump was working and full with preasure. Came home on kicker. tried to start a few times on they way home, nothing. Figured perfect I'll take it in to the shop in the morning to diagnose. Get home and tryed to turn it over to flush with fresh water and guess what? It starts??? What the F#@*.
Any guesses out there?
Evil or Very Mad
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 05 240 sometimes when hot gets a bit hard to start as well...I have to hold it WO and turn the key to get it to fire...maybe its too much fuel at the time when it gets shut off and floods a bit.
seal magnet

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to the lake last night and the same thing happened. starts great at the launch went for beach bbq with family (2 hours), then no start. Tried the WO throttle and it sputtered then started. Although this works, I can't do this in the river, I need to find out why and fix it. Last year I had no such problems. Any thoughts???

LS
Wocket16

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost sounds like an injector that leaks off some fuel after you shut down.
Wocket16

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an injector leaking fuel after you shut down.
240 Gordie

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have abucket of parts on your on your bench check the reed plate gasket where the phlenum bolts go. If they are a "c" hair too long fuel can build up in the pocket between crank journals while running. when engine is shut down fuel dumps into crankcase causing flooding.Starts fine when cold or after sitting but after running for awhile causes problems.
seal magnet

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks, that sounds logical. Where do I find tolerances for reeds? Or for a couple hun I should upgrade to new reeds, its probably due (400 hrs). Im still going to get some sensors tested and coils checked. Any suggestions for reeds? I've heard boisen reeds are the way to go.
rustyzipper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are plugs wet after or during no or hot start condition? When was the last time plugs were changed? boysen ok, but will chip over time, if you call boysen they will custom make you a set out of material not offered over the counter, Kinda spendy per reed though... We were having hard start conditions with 4cyl 2 strokes, they would start great while cold but once hot...good luck. they were running 2 stage boysens. most the guys are going back to a single stage metal reed to get reed seal under hot condition and draw fuel.. my 2 cents
seal magnet

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plugs wern't wet when I checked last. Its almost like the EFI is not getting the signal to send fuel or something. I may try to spray some fuel in a hole next time to see if it fires. After a while of not starting, when it does start with full throttle it flashes right away not like a usuall flooding senario.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: