OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

place diverter/ headers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOriverbum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: place diverter/ headers Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kinda expected gains, I might get installing a place diverter on my boat. I have a 21ft sport high window with a 540hp 502. It currently has standard american turbine nozzle, plows pretty bad.
I was also wondering If anyone had any input on headers? My boat originally had a kodiak f.i.454 and my 502 is runnung the factory kodiak manifolds. In a nutshell ,I am looking for more speed. I can run around 72gps at 5000rpm and that is running pretty wet, I feel If I get the bow up It should make a considerable difference. Not sure if the headers are worth the extra money.

Any thoughts from more experienced jet boaters would be appreciated, Thanks

outlaw 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.98 KB
 Viewed:  23213 Time(s)

outlaw 1.jpg

P1013128.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  249.04 KB
 Viewed:  23213 Time(s)

P1013128.JPG

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A diverter might gain you a couple/few mph if you find the sweet spot....But if you could live with no reverse, a nozzle would be the way to go. I made the switch last year and even if I bought a new Sport boat I would rig it up with a snoot.
MOriverbum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if I could go without reverse, but if the performance gain is worth it maybe I could do without it. How do you think a snoot would affect hole shot?
I have to get up on step in some skinny water at times
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly on my boat, it had NO effect on the HoleShot at all. I can mash the pedal and it hops out like the diverter was all the way down.....the only differance is I don't have to play with the button to get going top speed....and if you run shallow waters,I found there tends to be a few weak points on the set-up I had. I made mine bullet proof with HYD hoses, and a spare part for everything, but in the end I was just tired of dumping money into something that wasn't really for me.
river rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: place diverter Reply with quote

a place diverter is the best way to go, you dont lose reverse, and you can adjust the attitude of the boat for the load you are carrying, better hole shot, just a way better system, compare how many people have snoots as to diverters no comparison
Badbowtie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dont clip a rock on the reverse gate and rip the back of the pump off...
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

If you're looking for a increase in SPEED....buy a nozzle.... if you could live with no rev. They turn better and the river current will do all the backing up you need!
river rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should have a pump gaurd that looks nasty
On-Track

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch that must of been a nasty hit to knock off the reverse cup. I think Exwelding is developing a AT & Berk std and trim nozzle with a smaller version of a split duct reverse bucket to be tested in the spring. Who knows it might be something worth looking into a AT or Berk trim nozzle with a decent reverse.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the first time it happened....pump guard don't help when you're going forward. It was quite the surprise feeling having no rev when you expected it to work. I was pulling up to shore and tried slowing down!
river rat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be a surprize and not a good one, thats never happend to me knock on wood. at the very least you still could go forward whitch is a good thing
MOriverbum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so any input on headers? worth the money? or just stick with the kodiak manifolds?
Boomhower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A set of lightning's will help your engines performance. But if that green 21' sport delta bottom posted above is your boat I would probably stick with the Kodiaks. There is too many cons vs pros when trying to get more speed out of that boat. Heavy BBC, not a steptech, delta bottom. old intake design. Condition of bottom.
I am not a fan of the Pl. Diverter. So I would set it up with a welded race nozzle. They give you a lot better lift. Better steering response. 3-5 mph gain. And just a way better ride attitude of the boat.

JMO.
jetlee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: place diverter vs race nozzle Reply with quote

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread but my question is related. How would a race nozzle work on an E6(step tech with a 6.0l)? Has anyone tried it?
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO it think it would help if that's what you were looking for....more speed and tighter steering. Don't forget that you're rooster is always on with a snoot. No skiing, tubing, reverse....depends on what you use the boat for. That's where my diverter was nice, but I prefer rivers and was sick of buying parts and fixing the back end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: