OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

175 SJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stump thumper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: 175 SJ Reply with quote

In my Lynx I have 175 SJ with low hours and earlier in the summer it began to stall at idle, when I increase the revs it runs fine without any problems, only at idle is there a problem. I assume it is a fuel issue, and maybe the idle jets in the carbs are plugged. Anyone else had this problem?
kenai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a your stator. You are probably only getting 3 cylinders sparking at low idle and then all 6 at high speed.

Same thing happened to mine.

Kenai
Stump thumper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have to replace your stator to fix the problem?
kenai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is your stator then you have to replace it.

You can test it it with volt meter but I did mine by running the boat at low and high idle and pulling off the coil wires one by one and watching to see if they spark across the gap. If your stator is shot you should notice (in your situation) that at low idle you will only have spark one one side ( bank fo three) cylinders. At high idle or speed you will have spark on all six. (both banks of three).

After replacing your stator you will notice that the boat starts better and has a bit more get up and go.

I know lots of people who have had the same symptoms on the 175 sj and it was the stator. A faulty stator will leave the boat with either a poor low idle and good high speed ( ie hard to start ans idle but once you get it going fast it runs fine) or the opposite with good low speed idle but no top end. ( ie starts easy and idles fine but not top end).

Hope that helps.

kenai
Stump thumper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to have a look at my stator, thanks alot for your help kenai.

CHEERS.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought,
I've seen several 175's (including my own) that have acted a bit like you describe. The fix for all of them was to clean the jets/brass tubes in the intake side of the carbs. I use GUNK "Carb Medic", just spray it into every hole you can find in the front of the carbs, cleans it right up.
Seems to be an issue sometimes in damp or colder weather (and maybe when using less than quality 2st oil).

RD
thundercat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the oil...i been using Amsoil switch and the mid range problem started. gone back to amsoil.
sharky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Marathon 16 ft 2002 just got a merc rebuilt 175 installed. Surges at WOT, not all the time but enough to be frustrating....by surging I mean picks up 200- 300 RPM... WOT typically has been 4900-5100... bursts upto 5300. Last 2 engines did the same thing. geting about 125 hrs per engine. first one through a rod, second one broke a pistion, both middle cylinder, one left one right bank. New fuel pumps, (electric and pulse) new spark plugs, clean fuel line, new ful filter, clear suction in fuel tank. Tried leaner main jets, calibrated timing and synced carbs ....all to no availe...any sugestions? Time to look at Stator / trigger? Trigger seems to have some light cracks on casing, any way to test without getting lost in omhs and volts? First start of the day is tough....once warmed up just touch the key. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: