OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW vs QT100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottiet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: UHMW vs QT100 Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm still new to this and still learning lot. I was reading the post about double plating the haul and got thinking about what I want to do next year. I know there are pro's and con's to each but to be honest I really don't know what they are lol Rolling Eyes
Currently I have been looking at get UHMW installed with the welded rivits to keep from having to drill holes in my boat but the price tag is pretty steep. I haven't got any real quotes but all the people I talk to say its gonna run me around $4000.
Whats the price on getting QT100? This stuff has to be bolted/screwed on correct?
Just trying to get a feel for how much money I need to save for next year. I really don't want to break the bank but am scared to try something myself in fear that my boat won't float again.

Thanks guys

Scottiet
Viking502

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion... I would just stick with "old faithfull". Get the white UHMW and have her bolted on. Anyone I know has er bolted on and have had no problems with it. As for all the holes... Yeah... A boat is not suposed to have a thousand hole drilled throught the bottom, but with proper installation and some minor regular maintenance, you should have little to no trouble. I know a couple of guys that had UHMW "glued on", that was shit. As for being "weld riveted"... I got nothin. Hope this helps.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welded washer's are fine until they bust...then you can't grind them down to repair them.
river rat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: QT or UHMW Reply with quote

I prefer qt 100 keel plate and a uhmw beaching shoe, less holes, way stronger, but adds lbs, to help the boat slide a little better off the rocks put graphite paint on the bottom when your done . just my 2 cents
Scottiet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really don't feel comfortable doing this kind of thing myself. Weather that be UHMW or QT-100, who does this kind of thing and what kind of price tag am I looking at?
river rat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call dale at outlaw, call kevin at bratt jet ,call steve at fire fish.
Kev-o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking for impact resistance or sliding improvement?

What kind of shape is your bottom in? Embarassed UHMW can be a bit of a pain to install on a beat up hull, Also stringer type and placement as well as fuel tanks, spray foam can be a deciding factor on choosing between the two.

A QT-100 rear plate with aUHMW beaching shoe is nice!

Kev-o

bender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a strong enuf bottom with lots of stringers already i would go with the uhmw ,we put the QT on ours and we are happy but if i was building a new one or already had a strong enuf bottom i would go with the uhmw
Scottiet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom is in mint condition, we bought the boat down in the states. Theres no scratches or dents on the bottom, the boat only has a .20" bottom so I want to help reinforce the bottom. This is my first boat so I'm still learning and want to make sure any "mistakes" i will make on the river won't wreck my boat. Let me know what you think

Thanks
Scottie
Kev-o

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the QT-100 for sure as you need some more strength down there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: