OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sport Jet vs. Small Block
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don wright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha... ya i didnt throw that one in because its outa my leauge. hey u noisy sj owners...... ive put my noise level from a 10 to a 4 by insulating the doghouse with plastic noise board that i bought from ulpolstery by willamene (780 568 2050) she will do this install for boaters also... in the back part sound proof fire retardent insulation is sandwhiched in there with noise board also. with the camper top up (which includes the engine inside with u) conversation at a talking level is np. before was unbearable
The weight of a sj and the 2000hr rated life is y its there for me. the speed of my 1775 extreme is somtimes not what i want.

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley846 wrote:
I guess i wasn't clear Arthur. What i meant by "Outlaw forum" is that most of the Outlaw boats i have seen all have V8's. With that being said I realize not everyone on this site nessesarily owns an Outlaw boat. Furthermore, as I said in my previous message, I believe most boats outside of Northern BC (eg. southern BC, Alberta, Washington, Oregon) mainly all run a V8 powerplant, for whatever reason i dont think you can argue that point. I am however trying to find out what that reason is aside from a few bias opinions.

I am actually suprised on how many SJ's you see in OE's boats. I've never really understood the meaning of those lil' bumble bee things. But that could be the gearhead in me..... You see them alot in the Lynx,smaller sports and any other shallow water boat they put out. The only advantage I see is wieght and that is strictly for shallow water boating IMO. Add the lbs of a SBC and divide it by the extra HP then multiply the momentum factor..... Confused and a small block should make the same distance when your in a near pushing situation. FYI-(I just made that calculation up) Laughing Another good point is 2 strokes are becoming a thing of the past. 2 out of 5 motorbike manufactuers stopped bulding them.
JET1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 240 and ill vouch for the fuel being less than the 350 or anything comparable in power but that all goes out the window when you dump in another 10L jug of merc 2 stroke at 100 bucks a jug they have there purpose they belong in a skinny water boat outside of that if i had more boat or wernt interested in going where i shouldnt be, i would have a V8
towman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an eagle with small block as well as my current boat, a firefish with a 200 opti. I am finding that the difference in fuel consumption is very little, it does suck to use a gallon of pricey oil every day in the sj, and I don't like the durability of the pump compared to the AT so far, trying the stainless now. According to the smartcraft I burn anywhere from 6.5 to 8 GPH. And it is ALOT noisier than my small block was. All in all I think as I get to know the sport jet better I will like it more.
chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am a total newb, so don't make fun of me. If you took a 19' wide bottom boat with a 383 and a Hamilton, and a 18' with a Sport jet, both with 8 degree bottoms. Call the 19 a Muskwa and the 18 a lynx.

How skinny could you run the V8 boat compared to the SJ?

Also what is the weight difference?

I know I could research this, but generaly what I'm interested in is finding out from users personal experience, what is the better option for me. I would use it mostly for short day trips. 3 people and some fishing gear. But I would like the option of putting some lightweight camping gear in and 3 or 4 of us heading to the cascade rapids or wherever. The rivers up here are sandbar hell, so I need to be able to run skinny I think... Maybe not...I don't know.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well chris....your in the right place to get info on this subject. IMO the best boat for what you described would be a Lynx, Clearwater or anything along those lines. I personally would perfer a teflon bottom and a V8. You can load these boats up with as much wieght as you want, but take into consideration if you do hit a sandbar....it's a heavier push. Just like the V8 vs 2-Stroke subject, you have to consider all options when you are running shallow waters. The Clearwater river is full of sandbars and your best bet would be to figure out how to read the rivers to prevent this from happenning every 2 miles. (You'll learn fast after the first couple of pushes...trust me) There is nothing sweeter than taking your boat to a place where only a handful of people can get and setting up camp. Good luck!
chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a little marathon that I have been using for a few years. I find that downstream of the Christina, where I can't see the bottom, I am less stressed and just follow the channel I have on my gps. I have been there many times. I have been upstream only a few times, and find it a little stressfull flying along in 6 inches of water. Especially when you make the transition from one outside channel to the next. I find that is where you really have to be looking. I've come close a few times. I really think that if I am going to invest big dollars, I should get a V8 Hammy, but that extra 1000 pounds is a bit intimidating. lol
On-Track

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion and experience with SB and sportjets. I think it will be up to what type of boating your planning to do most of the time. Sportjet verses SB well you would have to find a 250 sportjet to have simillar power with a stock 260 hp SB. Taking in account power to weight ratio it will be very difficult to beat a 250 sportjet running in very skinny shallow waters at a slow planing speed. Now if you plan on running big white water the SB weight will be not a factor. A SB coupled onto a 3 stage will be very hard to beat running in big white water with minimal slippage(cavitiation) compared to a sportjet. All single stage jets do not like heavy airrated white water they tend to cavitate and slip alot. Good luck finding a 250 sportjet as they are discontinued by Merc. The 200 seems to be the only option at the moment until Merc comes out with something new.
philly-bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting document from another manufacture on the topic. Not sure if everyone would agree on the info, but I found it informative.

http://www.marathonmarine.com/PDF/boats%20what%20to%20look%20for%20070107%201130.pdf
xplorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SJ is very popular here In NZ ,I was keen on one for liteness etc but!! i think my mates would revoke my man ticket Laughing so its SBC 350 for me you just cant beat the V8 sound Cool
deaner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a boosted Yamaha sled engine work in one of these? They definitely wouldnt have the torque because they spin at like 12000rpm, but properly set up with a water to air intercooler you could probably push close to 300hp on pump gas. Boosted RX1s are a dime a dozen these days. They might not have the torque of the other two options but they wiegh next to nothing. I believe an RX1 engine is around 130lbs?? Has anyone ever tried this?
philly-bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habercraft J-max has a yamaha 4 stroke. In stock form I think it's around 160 hp.
RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: what was the final choice ? Reply with quote

I think the sj's are good for light duty use and smaller loads, mabe twins would be good for hunting. We run 502's and a hamilton 212 in our tour boats, they get on step in good time with 14 people and overnight gear in a 18' boat. If you want to haul heavy loads while bashing your boat over the river bottom,I think a small block with a 212 or the 713 is the way to go. The 3stage served me well for years as well and is definately more cost effective.

Check out www.squamishriverjet.ca and vimeo.com/14819448
RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: http://vimeo.com/14819448 Reply with quote

http://vimeo.com/14819448
BULLDOG17

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there my first boat was a 12DEG 19' NE TJ with a 350pfi coupled with a hami! great boat, but did i did not like the frequent oil changes, and weight. I did like the heater, power and sound. SO i bought a smaller 17' bulldog with a 200opti and i was very hesitant on the SJ but am very pleased with it now. Very reliable light and alot and i mean alot easier to push off gravel bars and such. If you do go with a SJ remeber they are louder burn expensive oil and the new heaters they come with only throw good heat when the rpms are up. Average Gas burn unloaded 5-7 gal an hour, fully loaded i mean two guys all the gear two 35 gal drums gas and 50 gal tank your burning around 8-12 on step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: