OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed/power Step Tec
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Speed/power Step Tec Reply with quote

Does anyone have the HP/Speed numbers on a Step-tec like Gary posted on the Tunnel ?

I bought a LW bare hull Step-tec last fall and spent all Winter making pieces and putting it together. It is put together to comply with the SBFX rules with a "homemade" ZZ4. I used pictures of the Yellowhammer, 07, and Hanlin's old Step-tec as references. I'm located in Iowa and have the only Aluminum Eagle boat.

With an "A" ss and Place Diverter I'm running 69 mph at 5000 rpms. With the Race Nozzel 70 mph. I perfer the Place Diverter because it's more fun and with it turned down the boat takes off flatter and draws less water. I have alot of skinny, shallow water to play in.

6-10-05 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.89 KB
 Viewed:  26305 Time(s)

6-10-05 003.jpg

AR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a picture of it at speed.

I'm running the Headers wet for a little NOISE buffer. Makes some people happier.......... Costs about 1.5 mph. The space between the seats and firewall is an .063 alu. box that holds all the required stuff. It, with contains weights about 35 lbs. and it is 11" from the seats to the firewall.

I've had lots of Jets, and some were all most twice as fast, but this one is the most fun to play with, so far.......... It's just a little to slow..... What's New ?

6-10-05 007.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.7 KB
 Viewed:  26298 Time(s)

6-10-05 007.jpg

WILSON

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don´t have a step tech, so my opinions are more informed when it comes to tunnels.

In May 2003 I went to race in Marysville, and I measured the exact running distance of the legs with the GPS.

Each leg was 12.5 miles. 8 Legs were run for a total of 100 miles. Legs were run upstream AND downstream, so the effect of the river current speed is eliminated for speed computing purposes (does that sound fancy, or what?)

Steve Hanlin won the FX class at that time with a step tech and a total time of 1:15' 27"

If we divide the 1 1/4 ours between the 100 miles, we get an average speed of 79.9 MPH

You will see in this and other jet boat forums that racers thend to exagerate when boasting on how fast their boat is. Probably they measure their speed with a special "racers" mile, which must be shorter than the regular 1600 meter mile.

The above is a pretty exact figure that should help you out.

WILSON

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFTER looking at my posts I find that my spelling is rather outrageous. I apologize....
Cavefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't race a step-tech, but I do race against them so am a somewhat interested observer of them. Looks like you have set up the seats in just the right place, the boat looks like it is flying right. Merv (Yellowhammer) has moved his seats even further back for the last race, right up against the firewall, but he is also built pretty stout, about like a SBC with legs and I guess is in about the 300 pound range, the move helped his boats top speed. Which driveline are you using? Might be an optical illusion but it looks like the motor is a little further forward than I am used to seeing. You are making some serious good hp there to turn an A 5000! I use a cutdown Legend SS B, almost a C, in a Legend bowl with an AT suction piece, and turn it 5250.

Merv's times at Albany on saturday, the race where I believe he was fastest and also a no-lift all flat water race were:
9:56 9:17 9:47 9:18 9:49 9:21
This was a GPSed 12.5 mile run, the first run was up, second down, etc. We refueled between legs 4 and 5.
The 9:56 leg was because they sucked up seaweed right at the start and had to deal with that. I calculate the speeds as: 75 up(seaweed), 81 dn, 76.9 up, 81.5 dn, 76.7 up, 81.3 dn.
total time:57:28 for 75 miles for an average speed of 78.26
Merv is the U.S. SBFX Champion this year, that's why I am using his times.

I like your paint job a lot, I am seeing a lot of really great new ways to paint boats lately.
Very nice boat, you should be proud of the job you have done!

I hereby refute my estimate of Merv's weight at 300 pounds, he weighs about what I weigh, 230 pounds.

Last edited by Cavefish on Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
AR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys are at Sea Level, I'm at 1000 feet, how much difference could that make ?

A couple of the Guys running the FXSB class have the QT100 bottoms and say they are in the Mid 80's. Rolling Eyes

The last thing for me to do is set the seats back against the Firewall and see if that makes a difference. I'll need a pair of arm extenders !

It's a long ways to the West Coast to race a couple times with a slow boat and $3.00 gas............. Confused
AR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse,
You're right on about the Motor location. I had a Jet-Away in the drive line and have sence removed it and set the motor to the rear another 4 1/4"'s. It's 17 inches from the top bellhousing bolt to the transit, same as Merv's.
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR-
Hanlin in '03 AVERAGED 80 mph with 2 person crew. This included 8 starts, (the boat is NOT going 80 when it crosses the start line) and all the corners and manuvering. Maximums attained to be able to AVERAGE 80 with and against the current and around all the turns will be higher. On a river with a 3 mph current you will see about a 4-5 mph difference between your downstream and upstream maximums.

What is your criteria for the 69-70mph that you are seeing? Alone in the boat? On a lake? Downstream with a ? mph current? Average over a 10 mile course? My point being, I assume you are taking a maximum GPS reading with the current on a river and you are wanting something to compare that to. Using THAT same criteria Merv's Yellowhammer, with a 2 man crew at Riggins (1600ft elevation) was seeing maximum of 82. Hoopa (200ft elevation) maximum 84mph. Albany (200 ft elevation) he got 86 maximum (lighter navigator). The Willamette from Albany to Harrisburg and especially from Corvallis to Harrisburg is a very winding river with some places where the corners are tighter than 90 degrees. Several tight S turns. Even if you can keep it floored the act of turning substantially reduces your speed for a while. AVERAGE speed for the 86 miles on the second day (by GPS) was 76.2 for Merv. Jesse's Wing boat AVERAGED 77.99. This included 2 starts.

The LW Step Tecs are 80-85 mph boats (reiterating MAXIMUM) in race trim with a 2 person crew with ZZ4 power. I think most of the Step Tec guys are running Stainless "B" cut impellers at 5000.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"

Last edited by SouthIdahoGary on Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cavefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art, you know the speed you are going to always hear is the very best downriver speed.... That's the one I always use anyway Wink
My experience with my motor is that I lose very little at Riggins Idaho, (1250 feet?), maybe 50 rpm.
Wilsons way of calling the speed is the right way to quantify your race performance, it's the speed you can actually race at, but it's much more satisfying (sic) to say your very best, top speed.
Maybe someone will say how much wedge they are using with their step-tech to help a guy out?

Last edited by Cavefish on Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cavefish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary gave you the answer you are looking for, for a mark to shoot at, you should be able to get 80 - 85 out of that boat and engine. Just gotta keep trying stuff. I raced Cavefish with a manual Place Diverter and loved it, go bombing up to a corner, no throttle lift, just drop the diverter and burn around the corner then shove it back up and fly away!
SouthIdahoGary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WILSON wrote:
AFTER looking at my posts I find that my spelling is rather outrageous. I apologize....

If AFTER posting you can tell your spelling is outrageous, then you don't have to "count" it Smile . ESPECIALLY when you are posting in other than your mother tongue......but your apology speaks well for you! and I appreciate your thoughts, observations and commentary in whatever form they appear.

And there is always the "edit" feature.

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of DEATH"#163 "Tuff-n'-Nuff"
Yellowhammer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

Man the boat looks good! I really like the paint scheme you have selected. As far as the step tech goes, you should be able to see 80 mph with the boat you have. This speed should come without too much hassle if you are pulling at least 350hp.

From the photos you sent, it looks as if the boat is flying well. I don't know much about the ratchet release driveline, but my guess is that they are sucking some power.

This is what I would try: Put your seats on the firewall (you will need to build a steering extension for this and move the gas pedal so you can reach it), use a newer race nozzle from Eagle 18 degree with 2 or 3 degrees reverse wedge, you should be able to use a berkely or AT bowl, use a 2 inch nozzle spacer, check the bottom of your boat for any welds or other obstructions that could be hitting the water before the boat does, check intake section of boat to be sure it is contoured and not tweeked, and with a solid engine this boat should see 80 mph on lake conditions with 10 gallons of fuel.

If this does not work, put your engine on a dyno and see what HP is it actually producing. You will find at 350-375 HP, you will turn a "B" ss impeller around 5K rpm's. This is what you want. I am suspecting if the above changes to the boat does not work, you might have some engine issues. This is my 2 cents.....

By the way, the last we spoke I had just made the adjustments to my boat (moved the seats back). I am happy to report that it did help my speed and did not seem to affect the handling of the boat. In fact, it seemed to handle the same as before. I will do some more testing in different river conditions and let you know how it works. As reported Albany is somehat tame water with no real whitewater. I suspect the boat will handle fine. I think Jesse and Gary's comments hit the mark with the actual speeds seen. Take care.....

RED ROOSTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: dead thread Reply with quote

So what's the verdict on the lack of speed ?
ace man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: eagle in Iowa Reply with quote

Nope i have a 17' step tec and i live in Iowa two i run the cedar Laughing
DOC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your turning an A impellor at 5000 rpm it definitely isnt a horsepower problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: