OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended V8 with 212 for Muskwa
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Recommended V8 with 212 for Muskwa Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a new or used 21' Muskwa but I am not too sure what powerplant to match to the 212 pump. I have seen a range of the 5.7 to the 8.1 on these boats. I realize the 8.1 will have more torque and hp...but with the 212, do you use that extra performance?

Also, the big block engines weigh nearly 300 lbs more than the small blocks. This extra weight must place the stern of the boat much lower in the water, off step.

My boat use will be probably half cruising and fishing with family and the other half running shallow rocky and sandy waters like the North Nahanni, Root (similar to Tuchodi/Muskwa rivers) for week long hunting trips and excursions.

Thanks for your help.
DiggsNWT

PS Getting rid of my Optimax shallow water specialty boat..low hours! See post in Buy/Sell forum. Question
Dano

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it takes a good deal of motor to run a Hamilton pump. I too am going to be looking at a Muskwa or similar boat in the future. I'm considering the CT515 crate engine. It's all alum. for around 8g's. Oh ya I'd be putting a Scott pump behind it.
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano,
Trade that little rascal off on one, yer missing out on all sorts of boating and camping, were are off to the Berland tommorrow for a BBQ, gonna leave the launch in the morning, come on, just going for the day
Alumaman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 20ft Muskwa with the 8.1 HO. Yes, it's a bit heavier but I really like the low RPM torque of the big block. The last trip up the Tuchodi, boat, with extra fuel and all the gear was probably at 6,000 lbs or more.
The new LSA's are good power makers. Haven't heard how they're standing up. I personally don't like the power curve on the CT525.
Lots of engine options out there and certainly more opinions. Just my 2 cents.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

383 stroker
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: 383 stroker with 212 Reply with quote

Rapid Transit wrote:
383 stroker

Thx for replies.

Advantages of the 383 stroker?

Diggs
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 383 stroker with 212 Reply with quote

DiggsNWT wrote:
Rapid Transit wrote:
383 stroker

Thx for replies.

Diggs

425hp for $6500.00 + small block reliability
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 383 stroker with 212 Reply with quote

Arthur II:On the rocks wrote:
DiggsNWT wrote:
Rapid Transit wrote:
383 stroker

Thx for replies.

Diggs

425hp for $6500.00 + small block reliability

Sounds good!

RPM for 425 hp? Max torque amt? RPM?

Kokiak is showing at 383 at only 340hp. Who makes the 383 Stroker with 425hp? Or will I have to mod?

Are the small blocks more reliable than big blocks?

Diggs
Forplay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who makes the 383 Stroker with 425hp

The Crate GMPP ZZ383 is 425hp/450ftlbs. Also the malibu boats use a "Hammerhead 383" that is just a ZZ383 painted black (marinized) and sold by Indmar. I've grabbed a couple of these out of wakeboard boats with only a couple of hours on them. (guy's upgrading to 572's etc) I sure like mine, great power with decent fuel usage.

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/EngineShowcase/index.jsp?engId=ZZ383&engine=ZZ%20383&sku=12498772&engCat=sb
Dano

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsworthit wrote:
Dano,
Trade that little rascal off on one, yer missing out on all sorts of boating and camping, were are off to the Berland tommorrow for a BBQ, gonna leave the launch in the morning, come on, just going for the day

Believe me Karey I'm itching to get back out there. Need to get back to work first though.

Garrett and Chad: What do you guys get for fuel consumption with your 383? I've heard they are pigs on gas.

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dano wrote:
Itsworthit wrote:
Dano,

Believe me Karey I'm itching to get back out there. Need to get back to work first though.

Garrett and Chad: What do you guys get for fuel consumption with your 383? I've heard they are pigs on gas.

It's not bad at all. Mine is right in line with any 350 I've ran with and has 100+ more hp. On our Jasper trip, buddy with a Kenferm(350)burned just as much gas as me, and I'm always running 400-500 more rpm. It's the greatest drop in crate motor around For HP/$ I think. Only problem is it does not come marinized. When building a boat You either have to buy a engine with all the hardware, or pick up the crate and piece it all together with manifolds, pulleys, alt, exchanger etc. Adds up in a hurry. Not a ton of choices when your going new and looking for a bit of warranty.
Forplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I'll second that, I had a 300hp/350 in mine as well. I get the same range +/- now with the 383, plus have a bunch more balls. I set my mechanical secondaries to come in around 4400, so cruising at 3800-4K (42-45mph) I'm around a buck a mile. The Whitecourt rally we burnt about $80 up & down.
JET1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound like a nerd but gas gets turned into energy about the same in any engine. With boats water is prety constant so you can put about any engine in your boat and if you want to go the same speed in all of them they will burn very similar amounts of gas bigger motor means potential to move more water so you can burn more gas. 4.6 and a 454 going 30mph burn about the same gph. but the 4.6 is getting close to maxed out and the 454 has lots of power in reserve. there wont be much change from a 350 to a 383 in the same boat motors weigh the same 383 will just go faster when you want it to.

weight of the motor can affect fuel milage so dont go to a bigblock if your boat will sit different in the water because of it. there is a formula on the net somewhere that will tell you the displacement /weight example my 16ft lynx sits 2 inch lower in water with 400extra lbs a 20 ft lynx might sit 1/2 inch deeper in the water meaing adding 400lbs to go to a bogblock wont change much but in the 16ft boat it would be a pig to get on step

my advise is if your boat has a smallblock go with the biggest smallblock you can that has a powercurve where you want to be. dont buy a race motor if your intention is to cruise at 3900rpm
DiggsNWT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forplay wrote:
Quote:
Who makes the 383 Stroker with 425hp

The Crate GMPP ZZ383 is 425hp/450ftlbs. Also the malibu boats use a "Hammerhead 383" that is just a ZZ383 painted black (marinized) and sold by Indmar. I've grabbed a couple of these out of wakeboard boats with only a couple of hours on them. (guy's upgrading to 572's etc) I sure like mine, great power with decent fuel usage.

That Hammerhead 383 sounds like the ticket! I actually was out on a demo with Dave from Explorer Industries in a 186LE with a Hammerhead 383. The boat went like a scalded cat!

Torque curve is really nice on the ZZ383...450ftlbs at 4300rpm. Peak hp of 420 at 5500rpm...Would you ever see this hp when you are mated to 212?

Will Outlaw put one of these units into a Muskwa?

Diggs
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw will do anything your wallet tells them too. The are very big on making the boat exactly how YOU want. Just look at all the speciality boats that come through there! Lot's of variety and combo's to choose from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: