OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jet Sprint for River Running?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikey_d66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Jet Sprint for River Running? Reply with quote

I sorta stumbled on Eagle when Xerophobic posted a couple of his videos on Pirate 4x4. I just graduated from college, and am going back for a master's when I get back from basic and AIT this fall. Therefore, I really don't have $30k sitting around to spend on a boat, and I have no desire to borrow the $20k it would take to get there.

I live in southern Minnesota. There are quite a few rivers around here that would be fun to run, but I've never seen a jet boat here in the 23 years I've been on earth. Therefore, to minimize the cost and to find out if I really like it (since it's not feasible for me to go for a ride) I've been thinking about buying a used jet sprint.

It appears that I can probably purchase a boat and make the trip to pick it up for somewhere around $10k, then upgrade and "finish" it a bit as I see fit. I'm good with my hands, and work in a fabrication shop, so I'm not scared of any bracketry/fabrication work like replacing the seats or building an engine cover. I would assume a new/larger fuel tank would need to be fabricated as well.

So, is a sprint boat even viable as a pleasure cruiser? How shallow will they run? Will they handle mild (very mild by most of your standards) rapids pretty well? Is there somewhat of a "standard" amongst the different manufacturers as to what deadrise is used? Would I be better off installing a throttle stop before I take it for the first ride? Laughing

Thanks in advance. Hoping to get into jet-boating next year and it'll give me something to look forward to when drill sergeants are riding my ass this fall. Laughing
bender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sprint wouldnt be my first choice they arent really for cruising ... there are some ali boats out there for cheaper though .... there is a 92 outlaw in the forsale section here for a good price but maybe to far for you and there is this one from the www.meanchicken forum for 11 000 looks like a cool boat to me and the price is right http://www.meanchicken.net/webmain/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2502
mikey_d66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest it really wouldn't be my first choice either if I had the coin, they just seem to be easier to find in the ~$10k range than anything that has some refinement to it. I'm not ready to buy just yet, and somehow I hadn't come across the Mean Chicken forums. I'll be sure to keep looking there as I get closer.

For the record, the lower 48 and most of Canada is close enough. My big-block tow-rig gets less than 10 miles per gallon no matter what, but I have access to a few different trucks that'll do high-teens unloaded and have plenty of power to get a boat back to the midwest.
reeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a bright yellow 14' sprint boat with complete engine cover, new seats, roll bar, 302 ford, hamilton jet, for around the $11,000 price range. I'll find pictures if your interested. Located in Southern Alberta area.
mikey_d66

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Reeder. I'd love to but I'm not planning on purchasing a boat until late winter or next spring. I leave for Ft. Benning in a month and will be there until late November. I don't want to have to saddle my parents and friends with another vehicle to store. (I'm already at 4) Bring on the pics if you've got them though. I love to stare at good looking boats.

Anyone else have any insight as to how a sprint might handle running rivers?
Vegas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: jetsprints on river. Reply with quote

one thing about jet sprint boats is....there made for just that ,,jet sprint racing or back chanelling with your buddies :D . they are really rough in choppy water(i.e windy conditions,rollers) so you may want to consider that aswell. ime not knockin sprint boats ,but they do have a specific application and open rivers arent one of em. Just my oppinion. DONT FORGET THERE ISNT MUCH ROOM FOR A BEER COOLER IN THOSE EITHER! :idea:
mohawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here, all you need to know when it comes to smaller boats.
http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 12.5 footer I ran for 3 years, it was fun on the Upper Red Deer river, but not a good cruiser, it's like 45mph to 75mph, you can't go slower than 45mph, or they come off plane. small fuel tanks, so if you have a skinny braided river there fun, but that's about it. My two cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: