OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info wanted on how to get up on step quicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ram

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Info wanted on how to get up on step quicker Reply with quote

Any info on how to get it to get up on step quicker? Any serious info would be muchly appreciated. Boat weighs 3100 lbs 20ft long 330 HP and AT 309 Pump. New to the jet boat game Rolling Eyes
Boomhower

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that new boat of yours having a power trim. By trimming it down will give you better hole shot, then trim back up once your up planing.

Also try shifting your cargo around if any to the front of the boat.
big block

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ram i see your in cochrane, we should hook up for run on the bow, ill give you some schooling lol Wink i run the bow in cochrane often in the summer.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Boomer said the trim is your biggest friend while getting on step. I never take off without it fully down. I found you have to find your 'happy spot' in order to get on step without spinng out. I had alot more grief when I ran a 'B' and recently switched to a 'A'. This helped not only in holeshot, but fuel milage too. I can now almost punch it out of the hole and jump right out.
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check and make sure you are not getting air into the pump, thru the rope packing if you have that style seal or around the intake, if the wear ring is way loose on the impeller that can cause isses also
WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going through some of this myself, i talked to dale and got a list of things to check on to limit cavitation thus increasing hole shot. little o-ring on inspection cover good, orifice ring at end of nozzle good, mechanical seal good, bottom leading up to grate good,impeller and wear rings good and finally he got me to check for 8 or 9 bar grate mine was 9 should have been 8. we shall see if it does the trick should have the grate this week.if all else fails ( no mechanical issues ) i get a lot better hole shot when i am in gear moving a Mph or two and only taking it to about 3/4 throttle, and like the boys said keep that trim down to get your ass out of the hole. hope it helps, thank dale if it does.
ram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Its a new boat so I will try playing with the trim till I get it right.
sandman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An A or AA impeller will definitely help, as will a larger intake opening size if using race grate design, make sure your impeller is cleaned up so the leading edges have few nicks if any. Are you using aluminum or stainless impeller and what cut is it? Aluminum takes very little rock processing before it starts to cavitate as compared to stainless.
An A-cut impeller will launch harder than a B-cut, but may also overload your engine at the top end of your rev dial. A C-cut impeller will let the engine rev higher to acheive its goals but it will also have to rev higher to get out of the hole than the B-cut. Check the berkely jet pump charts to match your horsepower to impeller cut for best performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: