OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbe has boat questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Newbe has boat questions Reply with quote

i want to buy a boat this year, have had lots of lake boats, now time to take a run at the river, but dont know what to look for, from what i have seen i would like to get into a 21X sport open bow or a E6, but I was looking around and saw the edge marine boats, looks pretty nice but dont have the fit and finesh of an Eagle they also run a 12deg. hull ware th 21x runs a 20 and the E6 a 16. dont really know what the benefits of down falls are. And pumps 309 SD or hamilton? Delta Pad or Steptek? Really any input i could get would be awesome. Thanks.
boosted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run an edge you have to run a Hamilton. The edge boats really plow through the water. It is the way that there hull is designed. Not bad just different.

A couple of questions. How fast do you want to go and what type of rivers/lakes will you run on with what people with you?

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
Viking502

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good boats out there. Be careful and talk to as many people as you can before making your choice.
I am not a river run expert, but here are my 2 bits.
As for buying a EDGE, I have only went for one ride in one. A good friend bought one brand new and he is not happy at all. The boat feels really heavy and underpowered. I don't know if this is common for EDGE boats, Maybe he got a lemon, I don't know. Sure it easy to look at though. The same friend also had a step-tech and he misses it.
I have a 21' sport delta pad with a BBC engine, this boat is an adrenaline rush to say the least. You have to maintain a lot more speed to run the skinny stuff, things can go "south" real quick. I avoid taking my family for a ride in this boat.
I also have a Harbourcraft Extreme with 200 Optimax. This boat is a lot more "user friendly". It is predictable, and will run as skinny as I need it to. Nowhere near as fast, but a shit pile of fun just the same.
I have driven or had a ride in all types of boats. If I could only have one, I would have to stay with the Extreme (or an OUTLAW equivalent), you can do more with it I think.
MAINLY the wife doesn't scream at me when I put the Extreme full throttle.
Whatever you buy, trust me, you will have 10X the fun as a lake boat.

Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on Viking.... HMB talk to as many people as you can, they will give you THEIR point of view and you can begin to form your opinion on what MIGHT fit for you and what you'd like to do on the river. get some rides in a few different types of boats, BUY THE GAS it will benefit you in the long run and most guys will be happy to show you what works for them. dealers have demos , try different bottoms, engines ,etc. see how they handle, cruise, get on step, turn, noise and fuel burn , put the lake stuff in the back of your mind because the only thing that is the same are the gov't rules. you have to find out what type of river boating is best for you, or you and the family? take all the closest calls you have had on the lake and list them in the less than average of one day on the river collumn for excitment. and don't wear a shirt that is tight in the neck...you are going to have to be able to swallow and say holy #$%^ at the same time!
Viking502

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take all the closest calls you have had on the lake and list them in the less than average of one day on the river collumn for excitment. and don't wear a shirt that is tight in the neck...you are going to have to be able to swallow and say holy #$%^ at the same time![/quote]

And don't forget to take lots of clean underware.
Even the most fearless of people can get scare the shit out of themselves while riverboating. LOL.

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great info guys thanks, as far as how fast i would like to go, i would like to have the ability to do 60+mph, i will be mostly on the red deer, riding with me will be mostly friends, family, maybe the odd kid but not a common thing, mostly adults, 2-3 poeple average.
HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont the boat for mostly cruising and having fun maybe the odd camping trip up the river, but think i would rather a eagle than a outlaw, at this time anyway.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what you have just said I think you will have to buy two boats.......don't worry thats normal !
boosted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as it has been said only thing better than one boat is two. If you want to go 60 + and haul three people doing it then you are in Eagle territory unless you want to make some real power (like my Ford) Laughing

I would go for the e6 and just put the lsa in it. That way you can camp, cruise and even run pretty quick when you want to. Just remember it is a little bigger boat so in the skinny it might be a bit of a tank.

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on day im sure it will happen, getting back to hull deg, i understand the shallower the deg the shallower you can run at lower speed, correct? about how mch water do you need to run a 20deg steptek at 35mph?
HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it funny you say that, that is pretty much the boat i had picked out but it is a little pricey new and to find a big power used one is pretty tough too.
Viking502

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 degree step-tec. My best guess would be about 6-8".
I know the ass on my boat is pretty heavy. @ 35mph i will hit bottom everywhere. Shit... I'm bearly on step @ 30mph.

boosted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the dam step techs, so fast and not to bad in the shallows as long as your fricken moving fast.

You might be able to find a used e5 with an old 310hp 350 that you could swap out for a ct 525. You would save over a hundred lbs and gain over a hundred hp and the cost of a ct 525 or ls376 isn't to bad. My brother has a 2000 e5 open bow with a marine power 350 and a step tech. Now that boat would really change with the ls engine in it.

HoldMyBeerAndWatchThis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the demetions of an E5? i've seen the odd one for sale but dont know thw size of the boat?
Kev-o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle only built two V8 powered E5 Sabre's in the time i worked there, One open bow and one closed bow. The E5 is an 18' Sabre. The other E5 Sabre's where powered by the Merc sport jet. There was a 22 ' Sabre with a 502 in it @ Outlaw.

E5= 18'-19'
E6= 20'-21'
E7= 22'-23'

Kev-o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: