OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UHMW install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jigger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: UHMW install Reply with quote

Does anybody have info or tips on installing uhmw? I've heard screws, rivets and plug weld washers so far. I like the idea of the plug weld washers simply because no holes are drilled in the hull. What thickness is required? I have all the equipment required to do the job. Just need a little guidance. Unfortunately the economy(wife) limits the cash flow, otherwise I would let the pro's do it. Thanks
don wright

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: uhmw Reply with quote

ya i've messed with it a bit. sucks. need a friend. need beer for the friend. plug washers are used in industrial applications for wear stripping because the plug washer can be counter sunk a lot more than a screw or bolt and is easy to install. i've never seen them on a boat yet .
i have used hex countersink self tapping screws and nylocks on the other side. the self taps help the pulling process of the teflon much better. some ppl say to dab some silicone one every one but i never have the patience for it. (remember the beer?) if u have some tough curves to navigate the use use a tiger torch (careful just hot to touch not melting) clamps, bars and weights are gonna be needed.
good luck......i'm never gonna do it again, not even for beer
Mistress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: UHMW install Reply with quote

I have a 2009 Thunderjet rio classic with full uhmw on the bottom.It is plug welded and works unreal.It was done in Abbotsford B.C buy a company called Highcaliber,and they did an amaxing job.Hope this helps if you want to se it or have any questions just ask,I'm in Spruce Grove,AB
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jigger,
Did you get yer boat done yet, if you thread the hull, it makes it eaier for one guy to do it, the plugs require the UHMW to be down tight, sometimes that is hard to do, get the plastic pre-bent in a brake that helps, use lots of bolts, silicone rubber backed washers and nuts on the backside
Jigger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsworthit wrote:
Jigger,
Did you get yer boat done yet, if you thread the hull, it makes it eaier for one guy to do it, the plugs require the UHMW to be down tight, sometimes that is hard to do, get the plastic pre-bent in a brake that helps, use lots of bolts, silicone rubber backed washers and nuts on the backside

Not done yet. From everything I've been told, I might leave it to the pro's. Thanks for everyone's tips. A few less beers after work every day, and maybe the wife will let me get it done.
riverboater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:
Check this out, a fellow in Vancouver is using this stuff with good luck, you should be able to use thinner material and a vacum pump to pull it all down tight.

http://www.reltekllc.com/adhesives-for-uhmw.htm
Bam Bam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems with glue. On a 18' boat the UHMW was glued the full length and for some reason had 2 bolts at the rear. After a bottom tag the UHMW came off the front and was only held on by the 2 rear bolts (unknown to us). This formed a scope which held gravel. On the next bottom tag this gravel was driven into the impeller. Needless to say, the boat did not make it home that day.
Once bolted in place the UHMW never caused another problem.
Just my experience.

cmowat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self tapped Hex with nylocks. they way I look at it if you hit a rock they act like a shear pin and break pull up the floor fix it done deal. If you weld it and hit a rock it'll tear not only the weld but the area around it (heat affected zone) from welding. Just my thoughts
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welding washers also melts the plastic creating a void between the washer and the plastic, you can try all you want to keep them cold while welding, but it's pretty hard to, and then the weld quality is less than desireable
bonecracker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thundered the bottom of my 16' Omenica(Lynx) good enough that I need new plastic and it still doesn't leak. I'll be using bolts again when I re-do. Don't mean to hijack but......anybody know of any good pricing on 1/2" black UHMW?
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Redwood Plastics, edmonton 1-888-554-7700 (Tom)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: