OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ss rattler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: help please Reply with quote

son and i have ordered our first barge. 2010 19 foot lynx with hamilton pump. we are considering a 6 litre rather than the 5.7. boat will be running on the south sask. innitially, till we are not so wet behind the ears......
would welcome hearing from anyone about the pros and cons of these engine choices
Kev-o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that 5.7 is a more reliable motor with a little less that can go wrong for instance the 6.0l is drive by wire throttle, Just been around that much longer i guess. better fuel consumption as well. Just my two cents as i understand it.

Kev-o

Neutered

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever motor you choose, one important key to motor longevity is proper warm up. I couldn't count all the motors that have been wrecked in our area over improper warm up.
RPM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutered , couldn't agree more , nothing kill's a engine quicker than getting on it before the pistons and cylinders are warmed up let alone the oil . Rattler for a engine choice hard to beat a 350 . The 6L is more of everything , money , fuel and i think a little heavier but they do work good if there set up right .
bender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where on the south sask are you going to be boating ?
ss rattler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostly between Medicine Hat and the forks at Empress. will probably put in at Sandy Point on most occasions. we will also be able to run up the Red Deer from the forks when water levels permit. there are a lot of huge sandbars on the Red Deer and when the levels are low picking a course could be interesting to say the least. Sandy Point campground is on south side of the bridge where hwy 41 crosses the ss river. County of Cypress is planning a boat launch there but as it is you can launch from a gravel bar at the west end of the campground. Laughing

Last edited by ss rattler on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boomhower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6l'S are as gay As Aids. Harder to work on than a 350 or 383, heavier, more complicated, 25% harder on fuel, they don't produce as much low end torque as the 350 or 383 at low rpms. Low speed take off and hole shot is where the hamilton really shines and the 6l wont throw a 3.4 impellar like a 350 can.
Just my opinion.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomhower wrote:
6l'S are as gay As Aids. Harder to work on than a 350 or 383, heavier, more complicated, 25% harder on fuel, they don't produce as much low end torque as the 350 or 383 at low rpms. Low speed take off and hole shot is where the hamilton really shines and the 6l wont throw a 3.4 impellar like a 350 can.
Just my opinion.

Well said....a 383/425HP should still be under $8. Buddy has a Supercharged 6.0L and it's gayer than cum on a moustache! Almost twice the fuel cunsuption as my 383...JMO.
WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: weight vs power Reply with quote

I meant to ask you Arthur, that 383 you got whats the weight on that and whats you got done to her, she crate or tweaked? i think i am running the same boat you are but with the 496HO, your engine i am guessing is lighter and if my #'s are correct you are at the same HP maybe even a little higher. i picked up my boat this way just trying to figure why the 496 would even be considered if the 383 is lighter, more HP, and obviously in turn easier on fuel. Don't get me wrong i like the engine i have but boy is she thirsty when i play hard, seems the best i can get is somewhere in 60-62 mph range. this is the the only pic i have of her the day i picked it up.

sport2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.6 KB
 Viewed:  18493 Time(s)

sport2.JPG

Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my boat it had a Louie (AMS) 383 that was dynoed at 450HP.The guy I bought it from was a BIG dude that didn't get out to push or ever want to get hung up. He stuck to mostly lakes around here and took it to a BC lake once or twice. He was all about the Top end#'s and tried everything he could to go fast. After I bought it I started having overheating issue's with A/F coming out of the overflow tube....with many hrs chasing the problem and removing heads I finally got the Alum heads shaved down due to warpage. I found out later he got stuck one time in the river and tried to 'drive it' off the rock bar. Overheated pretty bad and I'm sure he knew about the A/F smell? Anyway Louie told me to bring the heads back in at the end of the season because the valve's didn't look to shit hot when he shaved them.....low and behold on the last (cold Nov run) of the season I dropped a valve while taking my older sister and Ma out for there first ride.....

The most I ever saw from that mill was 74mph down river and he claimed 78mph on a lake when I was buying it. I went and bought a crate 383/425hp and changed the impellor to a 'A' for lower revs and better gas on long trips. I have never had to work on it yet and if I do I try and take one of everything with me that might go wrong...(you can never have everything)??? The most I see out of this setup is mid 60's. The long and short of it is I made a reliability choice over a MPH hunt I guess.....sorry for the long response!!! Rolling Eyes
D525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: 496ho Reply with quote

Hey Wikid I do beleive the main benefits of the BBC over the SBC would be it's torque output. Also that BBC at those power levels should run a long, long time. Torque and longevity are pretty handy features. What kinda numbers you hitting with that 496 (rpm, mph)? Another question is that a fuelie motor?
Forplay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 300hp/350 GM crate in mine, and changed it out to the ZZ383 this spring.

While the power/top end is obviously better, I think the best surprise out of the swap was my range barely changed. I can go as far with my 383 as I did with my 350, and get there quicker. Cruising at 3800 is 40mph on the gps, and at that rpm she's hardly having to work for the pump output.

I am a big fan of the ZZ383, it's all rollered up and a has real strong bottom end. Mine will pull 5K with the SS/A impeller, and could easily could cut it down a bit for more - but as A2 says, better reliability and range with the A. These are a different engine than the old 383 strokers we used to build. If I had to chose from the 6L to the ZZ383, I'd go with the 383 myself.

They also can be bumped up to 450 or even 500hp with minimal work. 1:6 rockers puts you in the 450 mark (your pushing the max valve lift), and a set of AFR heads is good for another 25 on top of that. (Sallee Chev has some good info on these)
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS3 next?
WKIDTOY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: numbers Reply with quote

this boat has a 309 American A-cut, equipped with a jetavator(play toy) the 8.1L 496HO has a sticker 420 HP never had it on a dyno so who knows. pulls low 60's MPH fully trimmed out @ around 43-4500 RPM, to be honest haven't been paying to much attention just havin fun. i was always a prop man till i moved to ft. Mac but too limiting here now i rip the lakes with my kids and the river with buds. one thing though if i walk on her hard from idle she caves bad not so much if i get a couple of mph under her, guys saying that's normal, me i don't know. thought she would be a bit quicker though, but who am i kidin fast is never fast enough.
Forplay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"LS3 next?"

LOL, Wife's said I've spent enough on this boat already...

So with married logic, I'm going to get another one to work on, but it'll be a ZZ4 2 seater. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: