OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peace River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Peace River Reply with quote

Hey All ,
Heading out on the Peace , putting in at Fort Vermillion .
Moose hunting or sightseeing ? What do you think ?
Two years in a row it was very warm , the forecast doesn't hold much for real cold weather yet either and the water level , well it's low everywhere I think . I have it gps'd from last year , keeping the fingers crossed .
Maybe the Hay river would be better ... any ideas ?
Leaving Sat.
Take care
HOOLIGAN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stay off the Moberly river and it's all good Shocked
jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Peace River Reply with quote

Hi All
Well the peace it is ,very peaceful .
Went to the same area as two years ago close to the mouth of the wabasca and got skunked for moose again .
I walked into this one swamp , about 6-700 yds from the shore and followed the shoreline of this beaver pond for a half mile and you would not believe this but there was not one moose track ! I could not believe it .
I walked several other places with next to nothing for sign .
I boated back towards Fort Vermillion and within 15 min from town I pulled in and the tracks there were plentiful but I'll have to wait for next year as my daughter had had enough and wanted to go home , five days sitting by a fire was enough for her . I cant blame her as I was totally frustrated as well . Mostly with myself for going there again when I had planned to stop sooner . I just kept boating as I like to see it all but making camp that far back restricts the scouting as I used a lot of fuel going that far with a full load.
I have reason to keep trying as I got this boat to camp and hunt so I wont stop till I get moose in the boat!
And the Peace is lower this year than before as I touched bottom a few times . It's hard to see the bottom as there is silt in the water and no ripples on this big river . Just go slow in places your unsure of so the boat can easily be pushed off the sand as I wouldn't want to get on one while on step because I'd be there a while . You get out of the boat and sink in halfway to the knees in loose , anyway you know the difficulty that could be ,
Is there a trick for getting off a sand bar or do I call 911 ?
Take care all
There was a good thing though , when it was snowing we were in the boat with the top on and the heater going ,nice and cozy . What a diff it would be in an open tub ! Brrrrrr.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me 911 is a absolute LAST RESORT! There are many way's to free a stuck boat and travellin' with another boat would be the best one. You can also buy aluminum pryin' bars(basiclly a shiny log) and/or a power winch to help you out. Just my thoughts!
jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: sand Reply with quote

Hey Arthur
Right on . Thanks I was kidding about the 911 and agree it's a last resort . Besides I don't even own a cell , my daughter has one though of course .
I knew about the sweat and labor involved I was just wondering if there were any tricks was the question . I was travelling alone .
Two years ago I contacted the fish and wildlife and the rcmp to talk to them about using the river at this point and that I would check in with them ( rcmp ) they said " what for ? " so obviously they don't give a shit .
At least the fish + wildlife guy told me of some of the things to look out for .
As I had never been there or on a river that size .
Power winch is good and you could wade out front and drive a steel bar in to anchor it to . I heard of using plastic pipe under the boat , but getting it under the boat would be a treat as there is a foot of soft stuff before it's remotely solid to use a jackall or such
Can you imagine hitting a sandbar in the middle of the river , when the river is two miles wide in places ?!
There are jet boats that go super fast and that would give me a real good adrenaline rush but not knowing what's under the boat at even 25 mph is pretty scary shit too ! It's big and wide and FLAT .

Some would say " you shouldn't go downstream " but there are a lot of things we shouldn't do , eh ?
I made it home safe and thats what matters in the end .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: