OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuchodi Lakes Early July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Tuchodi Lakes Early July Reply with quote

So, I heard that there were some pretty fantastic boat crashes on the Tuchodi in the first week of July Shocked .
Lots of stucks and wrong chanels, which is normal Smile , but moreso this yr with the lower than normal water.
Also heard that a boat went down through the "Can Opener" and ripped about a 9' gash in the side of the boat.
Another that could have been pretty bad was the 21' Muskwa that was run into by another boat Shocked . I heard that the only thing that stopped the second boat from running right over the Muskwa was that it's nose drove right into the transome of the 21 Muskwa.
Another boat actually was sunk before it even made it to the mouth of the Tuchodi.
I've not seen the pics yet, but hope to soon.

If I understand correctly, most of this carnage is ALL my fault Rolling Eyes , so to the "Very upset wife" of one of the GP Group.....My most humblest appologies Shocked Very Happy . I will try to put "CAUTION" warnings on my vids from now on Wink .

Here is a vid from another group that made it up there. I was not available to go on this trip, but it sounds like I missed a prety good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___xphSRopE

RD
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We share our experiences, and for the most part, are proud of our accomplishments, everyone who follows those footsteps, does so at their own risk, because you posted video's of your experiences, and some one tried to follow, and had a mishap, is no fault of yours Kyle
over steer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We where up there from the 16th to the 20th of july, the water was great! 2 console boats and my 16ft sport.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsworthit wrote:
We share our experiences, and for the most part, are proud of our accomplishments, everyone who follows those footsteps, does so at their own risk, because you posted video's of your experiences, and some one tried to follow, and had a mishap, is no fault of yours Kyle

The families that were with me , when I met you at Tuchodi were headed down the Tuchodi, after a great weekend at the lake. They came across a group of boats just up from the mouth of the Tuchodi and were waived in to shore. One of the boats needed a fuel pump, so my buddies were trying to help out. The wife of one of the guys that needed help came over to see what was up. Upon seeing one of my friends boats, she stopped dead in her tracks, and took a long hard look at his boat. She turned to my buddy, and there conversation when something like this.
<Her> "You, You, Your's is the boat from the videos!"
<Buddy> "Woa, What,"
<Her> "Those videos, That Rock Doctor, You make it look so damned beautiful up here"
<Buddy>" I'm not RD, he could'nt make it this trip" (carefully backing up)
<Her Husband> "Hey, leave him alone, it's not their fault, it's not so bad"
<Her> "Not bad, NOT BAD, LOOK AROUND YOU"

Not sure how the conversation whent from there, but my buddy did have a better look around. One boat seemed to be fine, one other went down through the "Can opener", and had a rather large gash down the side. Another boat had been sunk, in the muskwa, and apperently needed an oil change. The last boat had the transome caved in, needed a fuel pump, and appeared to be sinking.

Sounded like pretty standard stuff to me Laughing , but I guess if you don't encounter this kind of thing very often, it could seem bad.
Just another weekend on the Tuchodi Twisted Evil

I would like to hear more about the weekend from the guys involved, it sounds like a great story, and I'm sure we could all learn something from it.

RD
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

over steer wrote:
We where up there from the 16th to the 20th of july, the water was great! 2 console boats and my 16ft sport.

Ya, It's almost like that river was designed for those type of boats. How was the fishing?
I hear that the river into the upper lake has changed alot, did you go up there to the falls?

RD
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when only a crazy few went up to the lakes, now with the new boats and uhmw, nothing seems impossible, when the water is high, she is just another beautiful river, when her water is low.........well, there's reasons why there's alumium on the rocks, she can be nasty,
BTW, how was the fishing???
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest I heard about was a 16lb Laker. Other than that, a few others 2-6lbs. Nothing fantastic, but it's really the wrong time of yr to catch Lakers up there.

Lots of boats up there though, 16 or more from what my friends said. Most of them camped out at the upper lake.
The mouth of the river running into the upper lake has changed quite a bit, silted right in, and the chanel is off more to the right now.
wriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Where do you launch, etc? Reply with quote

Where do you launch to start boat trip to Tuchodi Lakes? About how many miles up river too lakes? Is a 21' jet boat to large for trip? I would like to know for a possible trip. Jens - Boise, Idaho.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Where do you launch, etc? Reply with quote

wriver wrote:
Where do you launch to start boat trip to Tuchodi Lakes? About how many miles up river too lakes? Is a 21' jet boat to large for trip? I would like to know for a possible trip. Jens - Boise, Idaho.

Long ways from Idaho Shocked , but if you make it as far as FN, the launch into the Muskwa is just a few miles past Kledo Creek, North of town. The run from the launch to the first Tuchodi Lake is about 80 miles. A 21' boat is not too large, but you don't see many that are larger than that. Lots of them are damaged when they come back down Twisted Evil
Most boats on this river are in the 16-18' range with 1/4-1/2" bottoms at 6-8deg, lots of stringers, and full UHMW.

RD
wriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance isn't that bad. We've been to Alaska once with a jet boat and Northern BC area 4 or 5 times. Like Tweedsmuir Prov. Park North a lot. Would it be best to do it towards the end of Spring runoff when the water is high or should I forget the idea? My bottom is probably 3/8" aluminum only. Most distance I've run is about 140 miles round trip.
Rock Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have no troubles if you went sometime in July.
wriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Looks like a great trip by boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: