OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steptech vs Delta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D525

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Steptech vs Delta Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Looks like this post has gotten a little stale (like a few others) so here is something for you guys to kick around...

Looking at building a small (16ish) sport, but I am unsure of what kind of bottom to run with. Thinking about stepping away from the norm (sport jet power) and run an ecotec 4cyl.

Currently have a 21 step and love it, but will a delta give me better shallow water capabilities then a small v? Or is it worth stick with a v?

???[/u]
Forplay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the delta's have more surface area in contact with the water from the less angle non-stepped V, thus they can run in shallow water - at a slower speed than a steptec.

You lose some top end speed from the design with more hull contacting water, and they are looser/more slip in the corners at speed with that flatter bottom. Kinda like that part though .. Wink

My two cents worth anyways ..
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foreplay ... you have hit the nail on the head , in my opinion, and I own a 17 ft delta v8. a steptec simply draws more water at slow speed and will not be able to follow a delta if they have to slow down below 35 mph

d525 ... what pump are you going to drive ? do you have enough torque?
I have watched some 16 ft delta bottom sportjets , they look like fun, and , these guys used to have steptecs
D525

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small ecotec runs about 250hp and 240-250ft-lbs of torque with 90% of that available just off idle. Thats why I think it would make a great little ripper. The economy of the little four stroke looks pretty impressive too, with adjustable mapping on the fly.

Not really sure what pump would be a good match for it though? Thinking it would be nice to put an AT 309 so I could swap parts between boats. Have also heard alot of good things about the hammy. So who knows.

I think I will have to try and take a delta for a rip. Probably the way to go. See if i can get use to a slider instead of a slicer.

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming!
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is ecotec the brand name of the engine? is this the engine that Roger Keyhoe is using?
ntjetboater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep and yep.
GM ecotec and in Kehoes shallow water units

Also I have a delta on my slider;however I wouldn't really consider it a slider as it cuts hard when you want and need it to.

Itsworthit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever get rid on my 17x sport I'd get a delta pad on my new 17, no question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: