OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHAT MODS TO CRATE ENGINES ARE NEEDED.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowintow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: WHAT MODS TO CRATE ENGINES ARE NEEDED. Reply with quote

I'M THINKING ABOUT SWAPPIN' OUT THE 5.0L THIS WINTER WITH HT383 OR ZZ383. ARE THE CRATE ENGINES MARINE READY? JUST DO THE RIVER THING, NO SALTWATER. JET PUMP IS GOOD TO 400 HP. SHOULDN'T SEE MORE THAN 4800 RPM @ WOT. BOAT WT. 3000-3500# ANY THOUGHTS?
WILSON

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the water pump is not used (you use water from your jet drive) and if its not to be used in saltwater, you can leave the engine as it comes from the crate.
Will R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either one of those motors are good from what i hear but would lean towards the zz383.gm has done there homework with the zz line up and made a really reliable crate motor line up!(this comin from a ford man lol)as for the water pump sorta mixed feelings on that one some do and some dont but in my opinion i would leave it on and run a thermestat180-190 sorta thing!as together they level out water pressure coming into the motor and a more even heat through out the block.to each his own though.just my opinion.
YKX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: crate Reply with quote

If you boating in some silty water, keep the pump in, make it a close cooling system. My choice up here in the north as our rivers are really silty in the spring.

m2c

YKX
bowintow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANX FOR THE INFO SO FAR. I HEARD I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE ZZ383 AND WATER REVERTING UP THE EXHAUST BECAUSE OF THE CAM PROFILE? ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?
Forplay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new ZZ383 out of a Malibu boat, which is a marinized version supplied from Indmar. I called Indmar to find out if the they changed the cam, and a bit more about what they do to the engine.

Found out that they buy these engines from GM and other than the black "marinizing" paint - run as is. Nothing in the internals as shipped from GM are touched. As far as the exaust duration of 230, apparently not a potencial concern until you get up around the 235 or better mark.

The two things to be aware of with these engines for peak perfromance is not covering up the porting on the opened up fast burn heads. Standard 1255 Felpro's will cover up almost a 1/4" of the runner, so be sure to use the right intake gaskets (Felpro 1289 if using a vortech style intake like RPM air gap). Also note that the exaust ports are raised .200 thou, so I did a little clean up on my exausts with 1470 gaskets. 1-3/4 primaries cover the ports if your going to run headers.

As a side note, seen some dyno's numbers with the crate using a RPM Airgap @ 750DP mech pulling about 25 more horse than Chev's dyno with single plane vortec up the range from the 4800 to 5400 mark, at 5600 they met up again. Mine's ready to drop in, just need the boat back form the paint shop - and maybe some ice to melt to find out how she goes .....
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Dan Olsen oil pan on my ZZ383. Note that fancy bellhousing that Roger Kehoe builds. He's freaking amazing at that shiet.

ZZ383 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.6 KB
 Viewed:  15695 Time(s)

ZZ383 001.jpg

Forplay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice workmanship on the housing ! Bet that took some hours. I was going to grab the dan olson ELMER had up for sale, but went with the mildon I already had sitting around. Looking at yours, I'm second guessing myself.

I've got the same valve covers but polished, man I hope they seal ...
bowintow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO YOU NEED ANY SPECIAL EXHAUST FOR THE ZZ383? DO THE STOCK MP OR KEM MANIFOLDS LET THE BEAST BREATHE PROPERLY? Smile
Hines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave are you going to keep that engine together ha / you will have good luck with it. Later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: