OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shaft play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reverse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Shaft play Reply with quote

When I was winterizing my 175 SJ this year and took the nozzle and stator off to change the stator oil, I noticed about a sixteenth of an inch play in the shaft. Is this normal?? I am guessing that when the stator goes on that the seal holds the shaft steady.... need some expert info
WILSON

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure about the sport jet, but normally, outboard engines do have a play in the propeller shaft. Since the construction is very similar (and the manufacturer is the same), I would not worry about this play. I do have a SJ service manual somewhere at home. I'll post something tomorrow to confirm this.
reverse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Shaft play Reply with quote

Thanks Wilson; looking forward to your post.

The mechanics around here have very little knowledge or info about SJ's; not many around; so I probably should get a hold of a decent manual so I can answer some of my own questions. Any recommendations on whats decent??? (02 Eagle Sport; 175 SJ )

WILSON

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should contact your Mercury dealer. Give them your sport jet drive serial number, and they should sell it to you. The one I've got is for the 240 HP jet drive and I got it from a Mercury dealer in the Chicago area.
WILSON

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did check the shaft installation instructions of my 240 SJ manual and it mentions nothing about that play, so my guess is that this is not normal and you should check the condition of both gear bearings and the other bearing that holds the shaft in the middle.

By the way, If you go to www.mercurypartsexpress.com and enter your serial number, and your zip code (I'm not sure it works for Canada, but if it doesn't, type in the closest U.S. zip code), you can search for the service manual.

Alumaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reverse, If your interested I can email you the service manual in PDF format for the 2002 240Hp unit. The 240 & 175 pumps are basically the same except for the impeller and many of the engine systems are the same as they share the 2.5l block.
In my opinion I would not worry about 1/16 shaft play, both the 240's that I run have a 1/16th play. But then again I'm a believer in driver until its broke, that way you know which part to fix. Smile Smile
reverse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: 240 Manual Reply with quote

Alumaman; That would be greatly appreciated. I had noticed some vibration at low rpm, 2000 - 2500 but understand that some vibration is normal; just don't have a good definition of what "some" means and nothing to compare it to; definately not broke yet.
Again thanks a lot for your offer to email me the manual; PM should get to my email???

Alumaman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service manual sent today. Hope the 16 meg file doesn't cook your email. Laughing
If you do need to do a bearing change it will require a fair bit of tear down, but its not that complicated. I would also recommend trying a different impeller just to be sure. I have felt vibration problems due to impeller blade imbalances.
reverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Shaft play normal? Reply with quote

Received the whole thing Alumaman....Thanx a million. Will come in handy for sure
It has some clearance specs in the manual from impeller to wear ring but still hard to say if some play in the shaft is normal with the stator removed on a 175 SJ (about 1/16")
Stator and impeller have some small knicks but nothing major.... Only 160 hours on boat but that doesn't mean alot...depends on alot of other things.
Any other words of wisdom out there???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: