OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sport Jet vs. Small Block
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiley846

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Sport Jet vs. Small Block Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a 19'5" boat built this fall and im stuck on which power plant im going to use. I like the reliability of a 350 but im just not sure if its justified and was hoping if someone could tell me if theres any advantages to a 350. The 350 from what i gather, is alot heavier, takes up way more floor space, harder on fuel(?), more expensive, and once you put the jet on, the original 325 hp is reduced to about 240hp....... equivilant to a sport jet.???? what am i missing. The only disadvantage i can think of of a sport Jet is the oil injection. What about a 4.3? Anyway enough rambling from me......thanks
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small block, for sure. The 240 SJ is too loud. A small block driven kindly is not a lot harder on fuel either.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small Block for sure. ZZ4 is $5 grandish and makes 345hp.Easy to work on and excellent on fuel.
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scroll through the pages of threads here on the forum and compare issues. I can't remember the last time I read about a mystery issue on a carberated small block.
Badbowtie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small block for sure. Inexpensive and easy to get parts for. Quieter, little vibration, reliable, way more torque to get out of the hole and not much heavier. You don't have to work a small block very hard on plane so they can be good on fuel
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBC hands down, cant beat them ! there is 60 plus years of RD thats been put into this engines, parts avallability and cost are also better

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
riverboater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drop the 4.3 idea, with the counterbalance shaft and the added casting to mount it you may as well have the 350. the weight is about the same. and the power is much better. I just converted from the 4.3 to the 350 and get better fuel economy as the 350 cruise is 3100 to match the same as the v-6 at 3750. Of course there was an impellor change as well.
riverboater
don wright

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 stroke smoke cures cancer and loud pipes saves lives.....so hard. i think u need 2 boats
smiley846

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. Some valid points, although i think there might be some bias opinions as this is an Outlaw forum. Im from northern BC and i would venture to say that 90% of the river boats north of Prince George all run Sport Jets. Regardless, i'm leaning more towards a 350. Thanks again....
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not understanding what you mean by "Outlaw forum" ? They never built the SBC or the 2 stroke. They just put whatever you ask into the best boat on the market. Were all just boaters with past experiance's and opinions.
Will R

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hear hear!!
philly-bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 175 SJ and cruising around at 30 mph, it gets around 4 gal/hr. I don't think a 350 would get that would it? For me the SJ is nice, not much for maintenance, seems reliable (250 hrs with no problems). How many hours can you get with a 350 before a rebuild? Most of the guys around here seem to be always fixing their V8's. I have to agree thou, the noise is annoying on the SJ. Just my 2 cents. BTW if I had the cash and could afford more fuel I'd have a big V8 Very Happy
smiley846

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i wasn't clear Arthur. What i meant by "Outlaw forum" is that most of the Outlaw boats i have seen all have V8's. With that being said I realize not everyone on this site nessesarily owns an Outlaw boat. Furthermore, as I said in my previous message, I believe most boats outside of Northern BC (eg. southern BC, Alberta, Washington, Oregon) mainly all run a V8 powerplant, for whatever reason i dont think you can argue that point. I am however trying to find out what that reason is aside from a few bias opinions.
riverboater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent a lot of time in sport jet powered boats and more time running my small block beside them I find it hard to believe there is one out there that only burns 4 gallons per hour. most my expireinces tell me 7 is closer to the number. I just spent a day in a buddies with a 175 sport jet, it was rigged with a flow scan. the number very rarely went below 35 ltr per hour and we were light and not pushing fast. of course the 175 carb model is the hungry one.
riverboater
finally conviced her

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don wright wrote:
2 stroke smoke cures cancer and loud pipes saves lives.....so hard. i think u need 2 boats

your 66% right don
I think the answer is 3 boats
1 - sp
1 - sb
1 - turbine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: