OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

speed limit class
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: speed limit class Reply with quote

would it work for anybody else Question it could replace C class and provide a place for any number of combinations including BBFX , built smallblocks , strokers any make whatever . seems no two guys want to run the same thing but want a class to run in. was thinking of using the onboard gps system that i see some run what ya brung circle classes are doing in the US. i was thinking 90-95 mph would be a good number . class would require cages , harnesses etc all safety equipment . no engine rules or engine tech required . Very Happy
MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you reliably monitor the speeds? I think if the racing organization issued GPS's that could be checked after for max speed, BUT you would still have people complain about GPS's incorrectly reading speeds faster than they actually went, or GPS signals could be lost (legitimately or not Rolling Eyes ) which would allow those competitors to have a temporary advantage.

I also think that part of the fun of this sport is to work on your boat and try and get a speed or handling advantage over your competitors. People with deep pockets would still have an advantage by allowing them to build big motors to maintain high speeds in the corners as opposed to forcing people with the same motors (like an fx class) are forced to find the speed in their hulls or driving techniques.

I don't know, this is just some thoughts.

RPM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about the gps failing ,but certainly a possiblity. i think where it's done down south the gps were reset and put in a sealed plexiglass box . as for high dollar engines having a edge ??? i was thinking the advantage would go to the boat and or driver that handled best in the corners and any rough stuff and that not being able to excede the speed limit wouldn't let you make up any time in the easy going. i know it's not heads up class racing , that's what UL, A and B are for , but it does away with the engine tech issues of a restricted engine class and let's a variety of boat's race in the same class.
MrHeavyDutynz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: hi guys Reply with quote

in nz here we have a R1 and R2 class.
you can run any motor or unit you want,hull made from any(glass/ali eg..)
must be 16 foot or more.
must be water cooled ex manifolds with throw transom tail pipes.
engine moving parts covered eg.. just like any other race class.
but you must gps your boat for max speed (i think) 105 kms.
i know it sounds slow,but the rivers here are much smaller than yours so 105 kms is moving.if you go over that,your dnf.
so,80/90kms for R2 and 90/105kms for R1.

nathan

wils

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: hi guys Reply with quote

MrHeavyDutynz wrote:
in nz here we have a R1 and R2 class.
you can run any motor or unit you want,hull made from any(glass/ali eg..)
must be 16 foot or more.
must be water cooled ex manifolds with throw transom tail pipes.
engine moving parts covered eg.. just like any other race class.
but you must gps your boat for max speed (i think) 105 kms.
i know it sounds slow,but the rivers here are much smaller than yours so 105 kms is moving.if you go over that,your dnf.
so,80/90kms for R2 and 90/105kms for R1.

nathan

TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is the top speed policed ? Why are we trying to create another class, you should be able to fit one of the 5 we currently have no ? As far as FX goes, there is a competitive 15 or so year old tunnel giving some guys with new tunnels a run for their money here in Canada. FX is the only growing class all the others are struggling. Stock ZZ4's are under $5000.00 and you can hold them wide open all day long. What more do guys want man ? Confused

www.bullseyeenterprises.ca

follow us on instagram @bulleyeenterprises

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/bullseyeenterprisespeaceriver?ref=hl
RPM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my interest has always been C class . saw the speed limit thing and thought it might get some retired boats out to run with what's left of C class and BBFX if it becomes a class . guess it's not working for you guys Confused lol . out of the hole would be huge and fast through the corners and bumps , top end in the easy going not going to help you make up time , i dunno ???????????
Itsworthit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Policing of such a class would be a nightmare, BBFX class sounds really interesting, put a 502 in yer boat for $15K ish, run it 1 year, sell it for 1/2 price, get a new one, that's a loss of 8K, has anyone ever freshened their motor for less than that, still 100mph boat if set-up, fuel savings alone would make up most of the difference,
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right there , a 100 MPH crate class would work with the right engines, I wonder if AMS could make a crate motor lets say 500hp small block for 10K. That should get a few more MPH out of some boats and would be available, but the engine would have to come only from him. Just an Idea, if everyone sat down and agreed on a price then AMS could tell us what he can build for that and go from there.

Like us on Facebook

RPM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 hp smallblock works for me . probably a 400 be the best power-reliablity to dollar ratio ????? and what 150 lbs. lighter. like i said in the first post no two guys seem to want the same engine but are interested in more affordable class up from SBFX .
Alumaman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would a ZZ383 perform. 425 HP but lighter than the ZZ502.
Arthur
Outlaw Eagle Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alumaman wrote:
How would a ZZ383 perform. 425 HP but lighter than the ZZ502.

I absolutely love my 383/425. I think it is one of the best crate motors you can buy, and is not that much more than the ZZ4. My boat had a AMS stroker when I bought it(450hp)and this is not too much different in the power dept. I lost about 6-800rpm, but I have no worries about long distance trips with this new one. I think it would be a great class for racing....but so is the FX already.
TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess GM Performance does have quite a few other engines available, it will be a matter of testing witch ones can hold up to WOT racing.

Like us on Facebook

MISSBHAVEN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 383/425 is an interesting idea, especially at only about $1500 more than the ZZ4 and it already has better pistons, roller rockers and peak hp at a fairly low 5400 rpm. It also has a mild cam that should help with valvetrain life.

Just some thoughts.

According to my calculations the 383/425 should be about 6-8mph faster (all things being equal) than the ZZ4, which I don't know if it is close enough to the 100 mph mark. Perhaps speeds "MAY" reach a low of about 91 to a high of 97 +/- mph but the boat would be very loose and on the edge. C boats with 150 more hp at 575 +/- hp are only around 96-100 mph. Also perhaps there won't be enough speed difference between the ZZ383 and the ZZ4 to warrant a whole new class?? Who knows if it would work or not, it would be awesome if it did, someone needs to throw one in a race boat and find out. I'll put one in my boat and try it after the Whitecourt race if someone will supply the motor, a person would probably get a good idea in a single weekend of R&R'n the motor and testing.

It would also be nice to have a class that was the same in both Canada and the US so we can race in each others countries.

TOP DAWG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pretty kind of you Jesse, to offer up your boat like that. Just Kidding LOL

Like us on Facebook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: