OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possible upgrade for sbfx for next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH and if you are worried about some dumping a bunch of money into their engines to gain a little put a claimer rule into the class.
Mike R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will R wrote:
OH and if you are worried about some dumping a bunch of money into their engines to gain a little put a claimer rule into the class.

Doesn't work
Will R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not?
Mike R

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will R wrote:
why not?

Because very few people will ever use the claim rule and most racers have an unwritten agreement regaurding claiming others motors. Another thing is that a claim rule will chase people away from that class as they don't want to spend $$$ and time on a good motor just to have it claimed by someone who didn't spend $$$ and time on theirs.

We have seen the advantage of the sealed crate motor in the super stock class. And a 5000 dollar motor will compete with a 20000 one

The easiest way to regulate power and cost is carb/muffler rules or a restrictor plate....cheap and very effective
Bald Man
The Myth.... The Legend

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike R wrote:
Will R wrote:
why not?

Because very few people will ever use the claim rule and most racers have an unwritten agreement regaurding claiming others motors. Another thing is that a claim rule will chase people away from that class as they don't want to spend $$$ and time on a good motor just to have it claimed by someone who didn't spend $$$ and time on theirs.

We have seen the advantage of the sealed crate motor in the super stock class. And a 5000 dollar motor will compete with a 20000 one

The easiest way to regulate power and cost is carb/muffler rules or a restrictor plate....cheap and very effective

*************SIMPLY PUT ,,, YES*************
DOC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will i race c class, the claimer thing doesnt work. I built a motor my first year for peace river with a stock chevy steel crank, a stock chevy block and everthing alse aftermarket. No where near 5000 dollars, i was in second place behind glen freeland on sunday 9 miles to finish line and the crank broke. Stock chevy parts just cant take it. The next year the block cracked and slowly filled the oil pan with water, i had maybe 20 pounds oil pressure when i finished. The problem is to much horsepower, the stock stuff just cant take it. Thats where the zz4 shines, it doesnt make enough horsepower to hurt itself. Dale Whiteside just run a FOUR year old motor in Riggins and finished. It even had the stock oil pan. Heres my suggestion and im gonna get yelled at for this, go to the zz383 with 385 hp , then it matches up with ford and whats that other one, oh yeah dogde, is that how you spell it. My 2 cents worth.
Will R

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you on the going to the zz383/385hp thing for sure DOC then they could call it a crate engine class again with ford,gm and dodge all offering crate engines in the 380hp range!!!oh and ill be heading south tomorrow there doc so ill give you a call to pick up those life jackets!
and maybe hear a few riggins stories!
RPM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that a racer would never B.S. about his engine is what makes Dales ZZ4 seem so remarkable . My experience with two different bone stock untouched ZZ4 's has been that there tired after a couple of races and a season of testing . I guess some must be better than others ????
RPM

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this post done or what , was pretty busy for a while there . Lots of good points being made . I was hoping to hear from the guys I was talking to at the 2005 Peace River Gold Cup that quit racing when the 10 and $ 20k engines started showing up in C class. Thanks doc for your 2 cents worth , no substitute for bin- dare dun-dat , how much compression were you running with those stock engines. One thing we know for sure is that you can't have rules that are going to be perfect for everyone. Don't think the 383 would be fair with the 351 even though they are both rated at 385 hp , I think the 383 would out torque it and turn a bigger impeller.
DOC

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda goofed, the zz383 is 425 horse, the zz4 with fast burn heads makes 385 horse. The fast burn 385 class instead, 700 dollars more than a zz4. Dale W will admit his motor is getting pretty tired, you notice he didnt win this year. Wasnt from lack of trying though.
DOC

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i forgot to mention 12 to 1 comp on stock block motor, brodix heads and intake. Pushed my fat ass to 93 mph in peace river.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary L generously dug up our times in Riggins as well as Dale's from last year and what it seemed to tell me was in fact the tunnel was not significantly off the times from last year with same motor/impeller. Whether or not the motor was that much more tired or if the tunnel simply burns off too much speed in the corners on that type of course remains to be seen.
I can tell you what I found most interesting from the times was that what we felt was by far the best run through the rough stuff by the "seat o the pants meter" was in fact our slowest run LOL

I'd venture to say there is a significant gap between the US FX motors and the crate only ZZ4. Now that said Greg B says his motor is crate but his times were constantly faster than Dale's times even last year so he clearly has that boat really trimmed out and he didn't even win the class this year.

I think you'd need to analyze split times on the Salmon course to really get an accurate feel for where they time is made up or lost.

2006-6:36 7:00 6:32 (3 runs day 1) Step
2007-6:35 7:09 6:25 7:07 6:24 7:01 (6 runs day 1) Tunnel

2006-6:25 7:12 6:25 7:00 (4 runs day 2)Step
2007-6:26 6:56 6:22 6:52 (4 runs day 2)Tunnel

Cheers

Cavefish

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, very interesting comparison. That is a whole lot closer than I would have guessed it to be. That's not bad at all, in fact thats really good!
If you can get equal performance to a step-tech using a tunnel on that river, you have put together a great tunnel. I am assuming it would gobble up a step-tech on flat water, given the same motor.
Perception-wise, from video and just standin there watching, Dale was driving the tits off the step-tech last year, this year he looked more laid-back and straightline this year. The times tell the tale though, don't they!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: