OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for the non beleavers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shallowman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: for the non beleavers Reply with quote

I just had to tell everyone about tonite we were down the river and I had 5 people in my boat 3 adults and 2 teenagers and just about ready to go and along came a boat that was having trouble so they made into shore by us there boat never started again so I loaded them all in my boat and away I went it took all she had and about 100 feet or so to get on plane but now I have 11 people in my boat and for everyone reading this I of course have a plastic wear ring and I know that in a 16 foot boat and a 175 sj with any else other than the tight tolerance of the uhmw wear ring might not have even got on plane they were quite a happy crew

Let,er Buck Laughing Laughing Laughing
Firefish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run it through some gravel and then you have 11 unhappy people.. Go Stainless Smile
shallowman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: ye rite Reply with quote

just for your info there this is the same wear ring I have had in since last year with 180 hrs on it and beleave me there is NO NO stainless that can do that I have replace over 60 stainless wear rings this year that have had 40 to 50 hours on them and they have 60 thou. plus wear so You can just stay with the stainless and have poor performance
I have boated for over 30 years and (you) cannot B.S. me but thanks for trying

Let,er Buck Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
bender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe you need to give the dealers a ring to test out for themselves because I was told to stay away from them ,and then if the are as good as you say they will start selling themselves instead of these infomercials
shallowman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: dealers Reply with quote

I have gave wear rings out all ready to some dealers I have made many wear rings for 3 of them the main reason the dealers don,t broadcast about them is the fact that they don,t make any money on the wear ring as everyone just sends them to me I know that they are out to make money also
the one fellow you can contact is Duyne Peterson from Northgate Honda the phone number there 780-532 8010 they are a Outlaw dealer please call him and see what he thinks Thanks
2jokejet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

pls correct me if i am wrong, but the "performance" loss or gain is solely based upon the clearance is it not?

if so, then a s/s or plastic wear ring with same clearance will have the same performance at that same clearance?

Of course if the wear ring is lasting so well compared to the s/s one then that is a very great advantage.. I am at that stage where i will need to replace my wear ring...
allblowdup

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem is that you will never be able to run a s/s wear ring as tight as you can these so you will never get the benifit in the performance area.
shallowman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: plastic wear ring Reply with quote

allblowdup is rite there is no way to get 3 thou. clearance from stainless if you do the first bit of sand or rocks or cavitation it will seize and then you will have 11 unhappy people in you boat Crying or Very sad
I also think that it would not even start But if you could get that kind of tolerance Yes it would be the same I know that when a outboard jet pump
cavities the impeller will expand and hit the side of the wear ring if it is to tight because there is heat and friction in there and that is what makes those real nice lines that look like threads or it is also called galling
I really don,t like to put down the fellows that run stainless I hope they take all this in stride
what I am really saying is uhmw will outlast and out perform because less wear and tighter tolerance
So buy what ever you beleave in see you on the water

Let,er Buck
Grizzly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi shallowman, I have a twin 175 20 foot. What impeller do you recommend with your wear ring? I did speak to Dwayne P from northgate on the Murray river this past weekend. When you do these do you need to have the impellers? How do you do the install? Do you machine the OEM part and then press in and bolt then machine like a stainless ring or?? What type or number or ?? of UHMW is it that is used so that one can check out the material specs. Also do you have a photo of a completed wear ring both installed and out?
2jokejet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

thanks shallowman Very Happy
Firefish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He modifies the stock wear ring so that if it doesn't work (like when you chew the gravel and damage the uhmw) the core/wear ring is garbage and you have to buy a new one for about $525.00 + get it sleeved with stainless $400.00.. Therefore if its a $925.00 bill to try a UHMW wearing.... I'm not saying it doesn't work (it works darn well) but if you do run it through some gravel its gonna cost big time.... I did the UHMW prototypes for outlaw 2-3 years ago and there is a reason why they sell stainless steel wearings.

Thanks.
FIREFISH
Skinnydipper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefish:

Recovered from endless passion so soon Razz ??

shallowman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: thats for the info Reply with quote

thanks for that info about the proto types you did for outlaw as this has been patented for over 3 years now so know this becomes I believe a patent infringement so you may have just said the wrong thing as you where involved you CANNOT build prototypes while there is a patent in place but thanks for the info

have a nice day Laughing Laughing Laughing
shallow draft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the patent number?
shallowman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: plastic vs stainless Reply with quote

firefish if your stainless is as great as you claim why do you run plastic skis on you snowmobile and why do we all run plastic wear strips on the skid frame of our sleds why not stainless and I see that you run Plastic on the bottom of your boat tell me why don,t you run stainless on the bottom the way you say it, it would be better than plastic because you must run over gravel bars and the impact of gravel bars are way higher than in your pump at the grain elevators where they dump the grain in the Hopper's they NOW have uhmw because the stainless deflectors would only last 2 months now they last 2 years and so if you add water the wear factor even greater than that of stainless or Alum. as water does not help these wear longer
also if you hate the plastic wear ring it can be remove and a stainless put in we do not wreck the housing
on monday I had a stainless wear ring come in that had turned and blocked off the water holes because he was running the new high skew impeller and a rock a was to big to go out the back got jammed and stuck on the liner and broke the 3 little bolts that hold it in and then turned the liner about 2 inches with plastic it would have had a much harder time to get stuck as uhmw is much slippery
Allblowdup please respond to that wear ring that came into the shop that had turned thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: