OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to build 600hp SB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak907jon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Trying to build 600hp SB Reply with quote

I am rebuilding my sb zz383 (425 hp) and I am putting pro-comp 4340 5.7 rods in it, with new pistons and not sure if i should put flat or dome, what would be better for a 15ft sprint boat? still trying to keep the comp to no higher then 11.0 to 1 . I have the aluminum fast burn heads, I want to put maybe bigger valves? and better seals and guides of course. Trying to reach
600hp marker with a good base motor. Want it to be reliable and hold high rpm. Any suggestions? Thank you

boosted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hit 600 hp with that size of engine you will need better heads. With 11:1 you are going to have to rev it some(over 6000 rpm). so a set of AFR195's or something like that. The fast burn heads are ok but a little small to rev it for that kind of power. Yiour cam will have to be close or over .600 lift at the valve also like maybe a comp 294xr solid kind of thing. Victor junior intake and at least an 850 carb.

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
ak907jon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: zz383 trying for 600hp Reply with quote

Thank you mark. Also to get 6000rpm would It be good to use a B impeller
with an Inducer? What kinda speed? Thanks

boosted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to run a b/c Agressor for 600 actual hp to turn 6000 so corrected would be close to 630. Otherwise you would run a c Agressor or a B AT, Berkely.

As far as speed goes it would really depend on the boat. If it is a delta pad then you going to hit a wall around 75 mph or less. Not to say it won't go faster but it is going get a little weird to drive. A straight V hull may go a little faster but will want to fall on it's side some. Steptech will go faster but with such a short boat 85 might be the wall point. That my .02 and I am far from being an expert but I have tried a couple of times to go fast in a boat that isn't designed for it and it gets interesting. Can you say hop skip and a bow hook. Laughing

Lets go back I think we missed one rock!
ak907jon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: zz383 trying for 600hp Reply with quote

Thank you for the info Mark.
riverboater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played with several big cu.in. small blocks, looked hard for the big HP numbers. copied several of those 600 hp engines you read about in the mags. funny thing is when they went onto the dyno they didn't produce the sort of HP talked about. The fellow that ran the dyno was more than impressed with the output as he had seen lots of different combo's and rairly saw much over 450 real hp. The big numbers came from the blower engines.

riverboater
ak907jon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: zz383 trying for 600hp Reply with quote

Yep I here ya, It would be nice to put a whipple charger on it!
RPM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget about the hp number unless you are paying for a professional build by a shop with a dyno . it's still only what it will turn for an impeller in your boat that matters and 600 from a 5.7 rod 383 going by impeller charts seems a little optimistic . your fast burn heads with a good valve job and 202-160 valves if needed should be close to what you'll get with a set of 195 afr's , but are a lighter casting and not suitable for sustained wot. with a set of lightweight flat tops you easily get over 11:1 . i'd pick a hyd. over mech. profile for better durability with the lighter head castings and with a 5.7 rod look at getting the torque to peak by 4800, with a B impeller you should see 5600+ depending on alt. with a comp xr294hr , and a good 750 dp on a 2926 super victor. good luck with your build .
Will R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say sell your zz383 instead of trying to modify it as it reduces reliability if you dont build it right and expensive! take the money from that and combine it with what you where going to spend on it and buy a crate motor like the ct525 you will probably come out ahead anyways and have the peice of mind of running a well built motor! A few racers have run this motor in race application with great results!
ak907jon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: zz383 trying for 600hp Reply with quote

Hey, thank you guys for the info. Now the choices begin!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: